Confession of a Quilter

Posted on February 5th, by Amy in a Notion or Two, random. 23 comments

I have never made a log cabin block. Never – of any sort! This is one of the most basic quilting blocks I have yet to make. I browsed through flickr and found a few extraordinary examples of how amazing these blocks can be.
1. I found a quilt top today!, 2. my new log cabin, 3. Crazy Log Cabin quilt… HPIM0342, 4. log cabin

Have you made a log cabin quilt? I would love to hear your experiences, tips and tricks! I received in the mail last week a collection of vintage sheets for A Notion or Two swap for Amy. And she wants wonky log cabin blocks! I’m pretty sure I can figure this out – but having help is so much fun!

Hope your having a great day!
Blessing ~ Amy

PS – Feel free to link up to your projects in the comments – I would love to see your creations!

23 thoughts on “Confession of a Quilter

Artfulife says:

I love every single one! Can’t wait to try it.

Amylouwho says:

I love all of those too. Please pass along useful tips when you get them! I helped my mom make a log cabin YEARS ago. Wonky ones? Oh boy. I’m excited to learn – it’s the reason I joined this little bee!

audreypawdrey says:

I have made a few blocks always using this as my guide:
    The only advice I can give with my beginner knowledge is to be careful to not have your seams on the last outer row of strips to close to the outside of the block. I try to have at least an inch width to the last row. I hope that makes sense!

Natasha says:

wonky log cabins are so much fun and because they are supposed to be wonky so you can’t really go wrong!

Stephanie says:

I love log cabins because they really don’t have to be perfect. I do “square” of as I go.

Thimbleanna says:

I love those wonky log cabins and I really want to try one. Can’t wait to see you make them!

melissa s. says:

You’ll be surprised at how easy they are. There are lots of wonderful tutorials, but I second the tallgrass prairie tute. You’ll do awesome, I can’t wait to see yours!

Jessica says:

I was always afraid of making a log cabin square…all of those seams looked like the perfect way to get a wonky square. Then I made one and got addicted…I haven’t stopped since.

Amy says:

I love log cabins. I aspired to them when I started quilting. My second quilt was one and I just kept going.

This is my first time on your blog and I am impressed, greeted by one of my favourite Dave Matthews songs too.

Jackie Russell says:

I love the log cabin block too! I am curently working on some wonky log cabin blocks, no rules to follow. You can see some of them on my blog http://JACKIESQUILTING.blogspot.com or visit http://tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com

Amy @ Park City Girl says:

Thanks for all the handy help friends! I hope to have my first log cabin block this weekend :)

Cheryl A says:

I’ll be a detractor… I love the look, but I hate making them. They go together quite easily, but I find them a bit boring. Pros and cons. You get a good-looking quilt fast, but not a huge enjoyment in the process.

Cheryl A says:

Cheryl A says:

Cheryl A says:

Cheryl A says:

Cheryl A says:

sewtakeahike says:

Hi Amy, thanks for posting the pics of those quilts! They are all so beautiful but I especially like the one with the random sized blocks, very interesting to look at!

Tipper says:

All beautiful quilts you found!

Rebekah says:

I love all of your inspiration pictures! Good luck with the log cabin blocks

Vicki says:

Melly and Me has a good scrappy log cabin tutorial. I made a few log cabin quilts in 2007–here’s one of them: http://www.flickr.com/photos/17723088@N00/2195087179/in/set-72157600038557403/

I like your blog–I’m here thru Jacquie’s Project Improv list.

amandajean says:

i love log cabin blocks. they are something i wish i had more time to mess around with. they are so very versitle-the possiblities are endless. you did well on yours i see. :)