Wonderland Bag

Posted on May 5th, by Amy in finished project. 49 comments

This is what I came up with while stitching down my binding yesterday! I love that I have grown as a seamstress, to the point where I can envision a bag, and have the experience to accomplish it! I had a few scraps the same size and that started the thought process, I always want to use up those extra bits somehow :)

Wonderland Bag - side a

There’s not really a front or back . . .

Wonderland Bag - side b

I added pockets to my lining, to fit a phone, pens and miscellaneous bits that always land at the bottom. I added stuff for the picture, but I’m not sure I’m going to keep it . . . have to think it out – it may end up in my etsy shop.

Wonderland Bag - inside

I did a bit of random quilting within the panels.

Wonderland Bag - up close

My only change in the future might be to add some interfacing. I wanted to try a bag with batting only to see how it did – I like it, nice and soft, but having more strength would probably be helpful in the long term scheme of things :)

What do you think of it?

I’m off to tackle a few necessities.

Blessings to you ~

49 thoughts on “Wonderland Bag

Mandy says:

The bag works really well. I agree with you about the interfacing. In use, soft bags can be a pest since they cannot stand.
    Purely a personal point of view, but I must admit that the next bag I complete will have interfacing or some kind of strengthening in it. At present it languishes amidst my collection of WISPs due to lack of time.
    The pockets look good. Did you add a zip to one of the pockets? I have found a zipped pocket to be especially useful when I have been adding linings to purchased bags recently.

Lizzie says:

I love the colours together, really nice. I do like the ‘firmness’ of interfacing in a bag it just seems to hold it’s shape better and lets face it, we carry so much around that a bit of strength never goes astray!

CabbageQuilts says:

A beautiful bag, I love the size of it, not too big, not too small, and would work so well with the internal pockets. Great job.

nicolette says:

The bag looks great! I love the softness when using batting.

The Wonderland quilt is so beautiful, gorgeous fabrics and a lovely polka dot binding! And a great picture for the blog-header!

Barbara Myltschenko says:

Great bag. I have yet to try making a bag, but I would love to i nthe near future, something nice (and of course easy) for summer travelling.

Kerry says:

It looks beautiful. And I love the quilting you did. On many of my bags I use interfacing and batting (it adds stability and softness to the form).

Carla says:

It’s very pretty. I love the red of the lining.

Jackie says:

The bag is beautiful!! When I make bags I use a product called Shirt Tailoring. It is what they use in men’s dress shirts to keep the collars stiff. It definitely adds body and stiffness to the bag. I swear by it. It is iron on too! You should be able to get it at your local quilt shop or even JoAnn’s. Give it a try and see what you think.

Jackie Russell says:

Cute bag! As the others said I prefer interfacing in my bags since I like them to stand up. This is just my personal preference.

Sarah says:

Your bag is beautiful! Again, those fabrics are fabulous!! So creatively put together! Great job!

randi says:

Very cute! Wonderland is such a cute collection. I do love the shape of the bag.

Michelle says:

You are so amazing! The bag looks great. I have yet to make one. I am anxious do so but as always there are things to finish for others first.

Taiya says:

I really like it! Very pretty. Might keep an eye on the etsy shop and see if it makes it in.

Miriam says:

I was blog hopping and landed on your “quilt festival” – what a fun idea, that’ll give me good reading for awhile! I’m a longarm quilter in Roosevelt (when I saw you were in Park City, I had to check to see if you were Utah also!)

Thimbleanna says:

Very pretty Amy! I like to put a REALLY heavy interfacing in my bags.

robinsonsarewaiting says:

Love the bag – so perfect for spring and summer!

melissa s. says:

it’s super cute. i vote, keep it!!! :-)

Sherri says:

Great bag…I made mine a few weeks ago (it’s really similar to yours, except I used a charm pack of Wonderland)…I get comments and compliments on it wherever I go!

MomBrose says:

It’s so cute! I say you have another contest :D Maybe a “name that quilt” contest :D Or name that VU professor….I’d be a shoe-in for that one!
    What a great use of scraps. You’re so “green.” :D
    I just made a skirt for Skylar and had enough scraps to make a whole other skirt for Bailey! I love it when that happens!!

Sarah says:

love it!

scrappy quilter says:

I love the results. Now I wish I could do the same thing…see something and create it. I’m working on it, not quite there yet. Beautiful bag.

L. Jane E. says:

So cute! I love the wonderland fabrics. A wonderland jelly roll is my current covet. You are so talented!

Amy says:

I am coveting the purse *drool*

cathleen says:

I love your choices in fabric…it’s really a beautiful bag, Amy…and your quilt the other day is gorgeous too. You are quite the sewing diva!! Truly!!

Monica says:

I have to tell you the first song on your playlist is so great. I always make sure my volume is up when I come visit your blog! Cute Cute bag! I want to get where I can just pop one of those out when i get the urge!

Cheryl says:

What a pretty bag! Our shop has that line of fabrics. I love the shape of it.

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

The last bag I made, there were two layers of fusible fleece, one layer of fusible interfacing and plastic mesh in the squared off bottom. It is holding up well.
    Love you Wonderland bag! I think you should have it for yourself.

Zlaty says:

Great bag Amy!

I love the colors! Enjoy it!

Zlaty :)

P.S. I got lots of fabrics with my gift certificate! Thank you for hosting the Quilt Festival!

another amy says:

Really cute, Amy!

amandajean says:

your bag is very cute! sometimes i like bags with just quilting and no interfacing. but i usually end up putting interfacing on the liner just for a bit more sturidness. i love the you used your scraps! i really really think in need to get some wonderland fabric. :)

Jessica says:

I love, love that bag!!! That fabric is perfect!

Paloma says:

wow Amy!! do you ever get some sleep? It seems like you never stop sewing, LOL. I love this bag is so colorful.

Philigry says:

oh, i love your bag! i need a new spring bag….

Terriaw says:

I especially love your bag because it’s quilted! Is it floppy without the interfacing? I also love those fabrics you put together. Great bag!

Ruth Anne Olson says:

I like your bag. Great fabrics, nice pockets. I think using interfacing is a good idea–gives the bag more body.

Amy says:

I love it!

Julie - On the Dot Creations says:

Hi, Amy. Thanks for visiting my blog and downloading the e-book. I love this bag! Such a pretty color (and pattern) combination.

amylouwho says:

Scrupmtious!!

I use fusible fleece interfacing in my bags and it gives it a nice form without being too stiff or heavy. One of my customers said she loved how light the bag was but still had some shape. I think it’s Pellon Thermolam – or the other one like it.

This is really cute.

amylouwho says:

the only thing you have to be careful with the fusible stuff is not to use any steam when ironing it. It makes the fleece shrink and creates a wrinkled look on the outside. I learned the hard way! But it’s worth it to me time wise to use fusible because then you can attach it with out having all that bulk in your seams. I always cut mine just under the seam allowance to allow for that. Am I rambling?

Did you want all this info ;)?

Carolyn says:

What a great job! I LOVE this bag. You are so talented!!!

CABean03 says:

What a great bag! I agree with Heather Jo that you should do another contest for it. :) Especially for those of us who aren’t sewing but would love a handmade treasure. :)

Rebekah says:

very cute! I like your patchwork on this

secret cake says:

Love everything about this bag AND that darling quilt.

em's scrapbag says:

You are amazing! I love what you have created! Very cute!

comfortstitching says:

It’s so great to be able to make up things from your own idea’s. Love the ladybird, the scissors, the quilting…. Just be careful you don’t lose your bag on your quilt!!!

Tipper says:

Amy-I adore the bag! And how talented are you to just come up with it!

Sarah Pead says:

I just love this bag. It’s absolutely adorable! :)

audreypawdrey says:

I love that you used scraps for this. It is wonderful!

Kelly@Charming Chatter says:

This is wonderful — I’d say you’ve REALLY progressed as a seamstress! Love it – especially the quilting and the pockets!