Tutorial — Quilted Bible Cover

Posted on May 22nd, by Amy in Tutorial. 77 comments

Before we get started – today’s my birthday! I’m 32 years young, and I bought my own present! Any guesses?? Don’t think to hard :)

This is what we are making to celebrate my day!
Tutorial - Quilted Bible Cover
Simple and easily personalized for anyone on your gift list, but don’t forget to make one for yourself too! To start gather your materials –

DSC_0015
I used two fat quarters and a bit of white for the lining, (you could use a third fat quarter) batting and interfacing. For notions you will need your pins, cutting mat, ruler, rotary cutter, iron/ironing board, and a fresh needle in the sewing machine.

DSC_0018
Get everything cut in the beginning then it goes together pretty quickly.
From your exterior fabric cut -
12 x 18″ 2 – 4 x 14″ 1 – 1.5 x 18″
Interior fabric cut – 2 – 11.25 x 10″ 2 – 6.5 x 3.5″
Lining fabric cut – 11.25 x 17″
Batting cut - 12 x 18″
Interfacing cut – 11 x 16.5″ 2 – 4 x 14″

Math Interlude:
My Bible measures 14 3/4″ (full width of cover) by 9 5/8″. This is a common size, but not the only size Bible – please take a few minutes to measure your closed Bible before getting started. If your Bible is a different size pull out the calculator :)

For example —
12.5 x 8″
multiply 12.5 by 1.2 = 15
multiply 8 by 1.2 = 9.6 I would probably go with 9.5

I came up with the 1.2 after crunching numbers to add seam allowance and room for bulk, I wanted to know that my crunching was similar for the width and height. If you are altering the measurements please note that I cut the exterior piece larger than needed and trimmed it down after quilting.

Back to the fun stuff! Time to quilt your exterior piece, however you desire! This one has been diagonally quilted in one inch intervals
DSC_0019
I used my ruler with a 45 degree line to mark my piece.
DSC_0021
After quilting trim the exterior piece to 11.25 x 17″
DSC_0022

Handles and ties–
Add interfacing to your handles, 4 x 14″ pieces, then fold it in half and iron a crease.
DSC_0026
Open the fold and iron both sides into the center,
DSC_0027
keep your center crease sharp while pressing the sides in.
DSC_0028

Use the same method to make the tie.
DSC_0025

Back to the machine to topstitch –
DSC_0029

The completed handles –
DSC_0031

And ties –
DSC_0032
I treated the ties as one until now, cut them in half for two, and on one end of each finish the raw edge. I zig-zagged over the edge, like so.
DSC_0042

The pen pocket —
DSC_0033
Sew around three of the four sides, leaving the bottom open to turn it right side out, stitch 1/4″ seam.
DSC_0034
Clip your corners
DSC_0035
Turn it right side out, and press.
DSC_0037
I like to use a knitting needle to help press the seams out.

To add it to the cover, prep your interior pockets.
DSC_0038
Be sure to keep your height at 11.25″ and press a nice crease.
Pin your pocket an inch away from the fold
DSC_0040
Topstitch it in place.
DSC_0041

Pulling it all together —
Add the interfacing to your lining piece. Time to start building! Set your lining, right side up on a flat surface,
DSC_0044
Add the interior pockets.
DSC_0045
Add the ties at the center, and pin.
DSC_0046
Add the handles, 5″ apart is a good number for this size cover. Pin the handles in place, carefully keeping them straight.
DSC_0048
Now lay your quilted exterior piece, right side down, and pin in place.
DSC_0050
Mark an opening, about 6″ in between the pockets. Sew with 1/2″ seam, reinforcing at beginning and end. Go slowly over the handles.
DSC_0053
Clip your corners, and any extra bulk if possible.
DSC_0054
Begin to turn it right side out – you need to take your time as it unfolds.
DSC_0055
Use a handle to get it started.
DSC_0056
Once right side out, begin to press the seams into place. (I actually tried it on here real quick first!) Also use a few pins from the outside to keep the layers in place while topstitching.
DSC_0057
Topstitch all the way around the cover, this will close the opening you left to turn it right side out earlier.
DSC_0058

I think that’s everything! There are lots of little steps, but not too complicated, I hope it all makes sense to you! If not – PLEASE let me know! I want to fix it :)
DSC_0063
Add your Bible and enjoy your new cover!

PS – I have a pdf of this tutorial available here!

Online Quilting Class

Connect with me!

Sign up to get my occasional newsletter! I promise not to share your information, or send too many emails.

You can also : Email me ~ Check out my books on Amazon ~ Check out Quiltcast on iTunes & leave a review ~ Purchase autographed books, patterns, and notions in my shop  ~  Join my Facebook page ~ Subscribe to Amy's Creative Side for regular blog updates in your reader

77 thoughts on “Tutorial — Quilted Bible Cover

Bethany says:

Looks great! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Kari says:

Happy, happy birthday!! I hope your day is special!

Thanks for sharing the tutorial. This will make a great present.

Ashley says:

A very happy birthday to you! I hope it’s fabulous!!

Happy Cottage Quilter says:

Happy Birthday Amy! Great tutorial. Thanks :-)

Jocelyn

Terriaw says:

Happy birthday to you! 32 is such a great age!

Love your project today! I especially love the diagonal quilting, and those handles are fab! I can see using this for so many things. Happy Day!!

Carlotta says:

Happy Birthday to you Amy!!
    ~Tootles for now!

Purple Quilter Queen says:

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

Purple Quilter Queen says:

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

Purple Quilter Queen says:

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

Purple Quilter Queen says:

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

Purple Quilter Queen says:

Have a happy birthday!! Cute tutorial too. Jennifer

em's scrapbag says:

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial.

I Love Baby Quilts! says:

Happy Birthday! Hope you get everything you want!

Thimbleanna says:

Happy, Happy Birthday Amy! Did you buy yourself some fabric???

Sarah says:

Happy Birthday!!! I am almost 32 as well, in June! :) I hope you have a wonderful day! I love your Bible cover, fabulous job!!!!
    I bet you bought fabric! :)

Jackie Russell says:

Happy Birthday, Amy. Thanks for the great tutorial.

L. Jane E. says:

What a great cover, and have a fabulous birthday!

Carol says:

Happy birthday. Hope you get to party all week-end. Liked the tutorial.

Andrea says:

Happy happy birthday!! I hope you have a super day…let me guess, you bought a new vacuum? LOL!!!

Marrdy says:

This I think I could do. It looks great!!

Michelle says:

Happy Birthday Amy! Thank you for the tutorial. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Holly says:

Happy Birthday. I hope it is wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. I have been looking for an easy one.

angelabe says:

Molto interessante. Grazie!

Amber says:

Great tutorial – I need to make myself one.
    And Happy BIrthday – did you buy yourself some fabric? Hope you have a wonderful day!!

CJ says:

Happy Birthday!!!
    Thanks for the tutorial. I think I will make a couple of these. :D

Koningskind says:

Congratulations!
    What a lovely tutorial.

Sherry says:

Happy Birthday to you. To be 32 again Only in my dreams. Great book cover. Thanks for the great info.

roseylittlethings says:

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day!

Kaye says:

Happy Birthday Amy, may the year ahead be happy and healty and lots of material for you to quilt. I had trouble downloading and printing your tutorial

Becca says:

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a fun day!

RED PEPPER QUILTS says:

Happy Birthday! Wishing you another fabulous year!

JC says:

Hi Amy. Almost missed a birthday greeting-hope your day is/was well.
    Now…if I could only quilt (trying to read some beginner’s books now). The word Bible always grabs my attention. I’ll remember this tutorial and certainly use it when I’m ready. BTW: You give excellent, detailed instructions. Take care and as always, great blog and excellent work.

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Happy Birthday Amy!
    Great tutorial – nice and detailed.

Allie says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! I hope you got yourself something nice – can’t wait to hear! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Loris says:

Happy Birthday, Amy! Thank you so much for sharing the Bible cover tutorial…and especially the pdf! My mom needs a new one and I have just the fabric for it.
    Have a blessed year :-)

amylouwho says:

Yes, Happy Birthday! Did you buy some fabric?!

This is a great tutorial. Thanks for always sharing!

Oh and I’ve been meaning to tell you – I saw the Wonderland collection in person… oh my! I want ALL of it!

Carla says:

My goodness that’s pretty fabric! Great tutorial. Thank you. And I sure hope you had a great birthday!

mommymae says:

my grandma would love this. i’ll have to remember this come christmas.

happy birthday! now you are as old as me!

Tipper says:

Amy-you really did a good job explaining the whole process!

Trudi says:

Belated Happy Birthday Amy. Great Tutorial, so many other applications for this too!

happy zombie says:

Happy, Happy Birthday Amy!

melissa s. says:

happy (belated) birthday, Amy! awesome job on the tute. Hope you had a fun day!!

SewCalGal says:

Amy,

Happy Birthday! I hope it is wonderful, and isn’t just celebrated over a day. There is a theory that someone that turns 100 should celebrate for a year, thus someone that turns 50 should have six months….so you should certainly get more than a day to celebrate your birthday “window”.

Enjoy!

SewCalGal

comfortstitching says:

Your tutorial is GReaT!!! Really well written and so proffessional looking too!
    Great design too with the addition of the handles, LoVe that!

Kelly@CharmingChatter says:

Happy (belated) Birthday, Amy! I hope you had a great day. And, another wonderful project! I love the fabric you chose, and the tutorial is great. What a Sweetie to share with all of us — thank you!!

sewtakeahike says:

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you!!! It was my birthday last week too! I just sent you an email about it and popped over and found out it was yours too! I love being a May baby! and did you realize if you rearrange your name it’s May??

Ruby's Daughter says:

Happy belated birthday Amy. What a great little gift to give a girl when she receives her first adult bible (fourth grade at our church). Thanks for the tutorial!

amummy says:

Happy Belated Birthday.

Thanks for sharing the pattern, I need to make a cover as my bible is looking a bit dog eared.

Rebekah says:

very cute! Thanks for taking the time to post a tutorial!

amandajean says:

happy belated birthday!!! hope your day was wonderful!

sewmarm says:

Great idea and great tutorial. Thanks!

Anonymous says:

It looks so great!It's the best I have seen so far on the internet!
    What a lovely way to celebrate a wonderful birthday!

Phyl says:

i loved this tutorial! it was so easy to follow. this was a great project and it was fun to make. thanks for sharing =)

Susan says:

Great tute, Amy, thanks!

I make paperback book covers that are similar but I add a ribbon at the top for a bookmark.

Hey, we share a birthday, except I have a few years on ya! (OK, I have 20, if I'm being honest, but age is only a number, right?) lol Happy Belated Birthday! I spent mine in the car all day driving to FL for our annual beach vaca. It was fun!

Susan/FlossieBlossoms

Mommamimzy says:

I just did a search for making a bible cover and I came across this. WONDERFUL!! Easy to follow instructions. Can't wait to get started!

Eric says:

This is an awesome tutorial, thanks for it! I just have some questions about adjusting for different sizes… like, what's the math behind all of the other numbers? :)
    Thanks!!
    Anna

Amy - Park City Girl says:

Anna – Do you mean for the pockets and such? If you email me with your addy and measurements I can help you figure it out!
    amy1399@gmail.com

Mary says:

Hi Amy! Thanks for a great tutorial. I made one of these for myself for my own birthday. It seemed only fitting :-) You don't have a Flickr group for your tutorials and patterns, do you? I'd love to see what other people are making too!

Elizabeth says:

Wohoo! Great tutorial. I just finished two covers (see them here: http://emsewandsew.blogspot.com/2010/03/scripture-cases.html) and plan to make at least one more. Your math conversion chart for different sizes of books works like a charm! Thanks for sharing :D!

Michael says:

Thank you so much for this! I want to make some of these to give away at church. Many people make rosaries and donate them, but I thought this would be very nice, too!

God Bless!

val says:

Thank you Amy for this post and for all your effort in making such a good tutorial for anyone out here to follow. I am certainly going to make one and if I make a good job of it I shall make one each for my daughter-in-laws. Thank you for the inspiration.
    Blessings! Val

Kerimae says:

Hello Amy

I found your post ala google and just wanted to say "thanks!" Here is a link to my finished project, in case you'd like to see it :)

Blessings,
    Keri Mae

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments says:

What a great tutorial! I need a bible cover. I am just hopping around through your older posts…so glad that I found you! I will be following you.

I use to belong to a quilting guild in Tennessee (with the encouragement of a dear friend). But the military moved both our families to other locations and with school and work and not being as organized as I would like to be…I haven't quilted in a while, except on long road trips! I love your blog with your tutorials…so I will be back :o)

Blessings & Aloha!

harleywife says:

I'm going to have to try this too ! I plan on starting my FIRST quilt top next week ;have to finish up some charity blankets this week ; Thanks again to you & Natalia for your inspiration to get going on it !!!!!!

Sonja says:

I love it!!!! Thank you, Amy:)

Elaine says:

I love this Tutorial, but I am sorry to say the PDF link didn’t work, is it no longer working?
    Merry Christmas and God bless for 2011.

Cristina says:

Very nice!!I’ll make one for my new Bible ^_^
    thanks for the tutorial…
    God bless you and greetings from Italy!

Chantell says:

Hi! I love this bible cover and am making it for a friend. However, her bible measures 19″ wide (including spine) and 9 1/2″ tall. I used your calculation of x 1.2 and came up with 22.8″ wide and 11 1/2″ tall. I am very confused as to what I need to do with all the other fabric measurements for the Interior fabric, the Lining, etc. How should I calculate those?

Thanks in advance for any help and guidance you can provide!

vernie says:

How I wish I knew how to sew. I like your Bible Cover. I wish its the kind of cover I have for my beloved bible.

Lori says:

Hello, saw your cover and loved it. But I used it for my daughters IPad instead. She has a plastic type case for it and it was hard for her to get it in and out, but your cover is ideal. She only has the use of her right had, after an accident and she finds this cover easy to carry and use. Thank you for the idea to help her…..

Mary says:

I just finishedmaking 1 and it is so awesome. Thanks so much, my friend wll love this gift.

Barb says:

Excellent instructions, detailed pictures, and beautiful project! I will be making a Bible cover this afternoon. Hugs to you!

Nicole Kruse says:

Hi! I just love your design! I followed your instructions as far as the recalculating my bibles size however i am a little lost as to the measurements for everything else.:-( My bible measures 9.75 ( w ) x 4.75 (l ) Any ideas or help? Thanks i am kinda new at this !

Internet-equipped smart phones give marketers the chance to
    reach consumers where they need a product. Furthermore, you can also avail SMS web service through which you will have the
    means of user-friendly web based interface. In this industry, you
    only cant market your business to everyone.

Feel free to surf to my web page Refer To This Page For More Tips

Among networking sites, I suggest Twitter and Facebook.
    Wanting to get rich will provide you with motivation, while certain tips, such as what you’ve just read,
    will lead you to the right path. Get those posts on your social profiles, company newsletters and social bookmarking sites.

Take a look at my blog post; click the up coming web site

This post will assist the internet people for creating new blog or even a blog
    from start to end.

Also visit my blog post: pretty cool site

Norma says:

Love the look of this Bible cover & would like to make 3 for Christmas gifts. But, what keeps the Bible from sliding out? Maybe I didn’t read the instructions well enough. I have a casserole carrier pattern that is similar, and that’s the problem with it — the pan slides out if you’re not VERY careful. Thanks!