30 : : I’m Crocheting!

Posted on July 30th, by Amy in photographs. 25 comments

Just barely! So far I’ve learned dc, tr, and dtr – I figure abbreviated or not, they won’t make sense unless you crochet too! The yarn was given to me by Amy – isn’t it beautiful? Anyone have a good online resource for learning?

Thanks!
—————————————-

25 thoughts on “30 : : I’m Crocheting!

Amy says:

Glad you're enjoying the yarn! Nice photo!

blushing rose says:

What are you going to make, Amy! Pretty colors to work with … TTFN~ Marydon

roseylittlethings says:

Fun, that is on my to do list, learn to crochet well! someday I will get a bee in my bonnet and do it!

Heather says:

Crocheting is great!! So relaxing – but watch out you can get addicted to yarn as fast as fabric – its an illness I tell you!!! LOL!!! A great online resource with video tutorials is NexStitch – http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html
    Enjoy!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Oh no, another addicting habit!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Oh no, another addicting habit!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Oh no, another addicting habit!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Oh no, another addicting habit!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Oh no, another addicting habit!

debbievds says:

Hi Amy – you must visit http://www.attic24.typepad.com. So very inspiring and her tutorials are great and are listed in the side bar. Enjoy

Tree says:

Hi Amy,

enjoy the crocheting, I taught myself a few weeks ago using a book and some videos on YouTube…and a bit of help from the lovely lady in my yarn shop! I'm doing a pretty bag with bobbles at the moment in between all the sewing.
    I also recommend Attic 24 – she uses beautiful colours and has a smashing tutorial for a hexagon shaped block.

Stephanie says:

good for you! I'm a self-taught newbie. Visit Attic 24, Hooked on Needles, and I know there are some others.

handmadeandpretty says:

I was taught to crochet by a friend, but I took on some more difficult knitting projects recently that were beyond my knowledge and Youtube was wonderful! I just typed in the abbreviation and the word knitting and I had several videos to watch! I would have been lost without it!

Are you making anything in particular?

W. Latane Barton says:

Seems like I saw a book titled 'crocheting for dummies' maybe at our local Michaels Crafts store. That ought to make it easy.

Heidi says:

Congratulations, Amy! I have a book at home that is really good; basically a stitch dictionary and teaching manual. I will look it up when I get home tonight and leave another comment. Other than that I think Lion Brand Yarn had some good resources. Lots of free patterns too.

kwiltmakr says:

I used to crochet. I made one of my girls a nice granny square afagan and finished it the night before she was born. My mom helped me by joining all the blocks together. I like crochet, seems it is making a come back.

Jackie Russell says:

Pretty yarn! Ravelry is a great site and it's free! https://www.ravelry.com/account/login.
    They have tons of free patterns, also patterns for purchased. Lots if inspiration there.

If I'm looking for a pattern I use google search engine images and usually find something that way too. What are you wanting to make?

sewtakeahike says:

I'm so excited for you Amy! It sounds like you know just about everything you need to!

jess says:

My grandmother and mother taught my how to crochet. Knitting was self taught… lol. You do not want to know. Anyway, check out ravelry, I agree… and youtube!

Janet Brady says:

Crocheting was the first craft compulsion I acquired at age 10 when my Mom taught me with a windowpane vest pattern. Remember those! I wish you weren't 3/4 of the way across the country so I could teach you. Good luck and enjoy!

Marianne Penner Design says:

Congratulations on learning crochet.I love crochet, it is so relaxing. I currently have 3 projects on the go but they are all blankets and it's too hot to have wool blankets on my lap. Can't wait to get back to them though.

Sew It Up! says:

I love to crochet too! And the extent of my skills are those 3 simple stitches. But you would be surprised how many things you can make with just those. :o)

Barbara says:

The nice thing about crochet is it goes faster than knitting, grin, and I do both. I mostly use crochet for afghans and scarfs. The afghans for cancer patients and the scarfs for the police to give to intercity kids. I learned about 55 years ago from a Coats & Clark booklet that is still available in stores like Michaels

Patty says:

I purchased a laminated pocket guide for crochet booklet from Hobby Lobby. It sold for $4.95 and I used a 40-percent off coupon I got in their weekly e-mail. This guide shows step by step photos for several crochet stitches. It is small enough to carry in my project bag and I refer to it often.

Here is a link to what the guide looks like:

Hope this helps; crochet is fun!

Launi says:

Crocheting is fabulous–I hope you love it. Pretty into it myself. Can't wait to see what you make with it.