4 Ways to Stay Warm This Winter!

Posted on December 11th, by Amy in Me, My kids, random. 28 comments

We have had a week of frigid temperatures, I’m not complaining really, but I have to stay warm! So here’s a fun post for you –

1 – Wear your warmest down jacket, over your second warmest down jacket, with a scarf from mom too.When we first moved here from Southern California, I needed the biggest warmest jacket I could find – I was never warm! Now I mostly wear the lighter of the two, this week I’ve doubled up when taking the girls to school at -10F.

2 – Good boots.Those ugg boots don’t work for me here – I need traction so I don’t land on my bum outside! These are a pair of North Face boots I got on Steepandcheap a couple years ago. They zip up the back, making them a quick and easy boot!

3 – Our wood stove is the best! Today out of desperation I split kindling and built my first fire of the season.
Joe usually enjoys building the fire, but had to get out the door too quickly this morning.

4 – Lots of snuggle time under lots of quilts!

Most of my quilts I fill with cotton batt (warm & natural) but I have one with primaloft – and it is my favorite this time of year! Always toasty warm.

That’s my list! What do you do to keep warm!?

Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Email me
Bookmark and Share

28 thoughts on “4 Ways to Stay Warm This Winter!

Candied Fabrics says:

The cutest cuddlers!

Natalie says:

It's only been as low as 18 here, but that's cold for us. Walking the dogs each morning I'm sure to wear a hat and have my hood up. Plus, you can't forget the long john's, those have been a life saver here! oh yeah, and a nice hot cup of coffee helps a ton…

Cara says:

most the same thing, though I don't have wood stove or a fireplace for that matter, and lots of cuddling! And never forget the hot cocoa/tea

Natalia says:

I agree! It's been WAY too cold!!!! Cute post!

Vicki says:

microwave rice bags
    hot cocoa
    polar fleece socks

Heather says:

Its been -9C here today. rather nippy. The shovelling was unpleasant to say the least. On my bed I have a rug of 6 sheep skins from New Zealand. Very snuggly even when its super cold.

Erin says:

Awww! It's so nice to see your faces :)

Staying warm: shot of espresso, a quilt, and a furry animal in my lap. After the coffee has been consumed, of course.

Amber says:

umm – put on a sweatshirt :-)
    That looks fun for maybe a day – I'm sure I'd be freezing though! Love all those gorgeous quilts…fun post!

Jaimie says:

SO FUN!! Love your scarf too!! It is raining here but I wish we had weather like yours, just a few days at least!! Enjoy cuddle time and those warm fires!!

Mary says:

Oh I love these pictures and boy do I remember bundling up and not wanting to roll over in bed and lose the warm spot. *Sigh*

Now when I want to stay warm, I walk out of my air conditioned house and into the heat outside most of the time. It is so hard to get that Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year feeling when there's no snow on the ground and no woodstove or fireplace in the house. I used to love to walk outside in the cold and snow with the clear star-filled skies and the smell of all the wood stoves and fireplaces.

Thanks for sharing these pics – they are great!

Sara says:

1) Stay inside

2) Heat all my microwave rice bags

3) Get under the covers with said rice bags

4) Cuddle with a good book and the cat (who also likes the rice bags!)

SueWis says:

I hear ya! I wear boots and do the shuffle through ice and snow so I don't fall down. :)

Andrea says:

It's to be a high of -30 on the weekend, and a low of -40. That's celsius, but it doesn't matter …. it's freezing!

I make a hot cup of lemon/honey tea, zip under my quilt and stuff my feet under dh's legs. LOL.

California sounds really good right about now. Stay warm!

Jackie says:

Cold here too. I try not to go outside.

Kim's Crafty Apple says:

Thanks for the link to steap and cheap! looks like a great shopping place! I wear my hubby's carhart's (http://onebeermom.blogspot.com/2009/12/winter-wonderland.html) to stay warm…and look cool doing it too :) Last fall I would wear his overall carharts, my pink moon boots and a pink coat to the farm market…everyone loved me! I also have quilts that I used flannel for the backing…super cozy!

Leslie says:

mostly i stay inside to keep warm! i think i would really love a fire right now.

KS says:

I hear you. I am in Logan and it is SO SO cold. Our pipes were frozen this morning. I love your boots and should get a pair. My toes have only been warm today thanks to my microwave hot pad.

blondieblueeyes.com

live a colorful life says:

Checking in from California. Much warmer here, although it IS raining. Husband is from Minnesota. Wants to move back. HUH?

Stephanie (A Ditchin' Time Quilts) says:

Amy, I love the picture of you with your kids under the quilt….so sweet. Reminds me when I was with younger kids. Now they are grown and in college/high school. Time goes by so fast and I miss those snow days. Have a great holiday and I love reading your blog. Steph

Lis says:

Love this post. We're lightweights here when it comes to cold – didn't get above 3C yesterday and that was really chilly! It's all comparative I suppose. My DH is a bit of a Scrooge and his response it always "put another sweater on" when I moan about being cold. Would definitely recommend cosy socks – I have some lovely cashmere ones, mmmm. Hats are good but they do muzz up the hair :( Indoors it's a wheatbag, quilt (or two), a warm drink and then a jacket potato with melted cheese, yum. I love it when it's sunny with a layer of snow, not so keen when it's grey and cold and just miserable.

Lorna says:

As a lifelong MN/WI native it is all in the layers and flannel quilts with wool batting…and a cup of licorice tea (my personal favorite).

STEPHANIE. says:

under the quilts and layers f socks! :)…love your stove.

Kristina says:

oh man—it has been so cold and windy here in MN too–NOT loving it. am Loving my new slippers from Target…thinking about getting some hand/feet warmers too. usually I am fine, but this came on so suddenly—it was a really warm November, but it's OVER. slept with 5 blankets last night-so silly…stay warm chica!:)

Cindy says:

What do I do to stay warm? I get the heck out of Utah!!!! But since that isn't always feasible, I lock myself in a room with 23 cute and enegergetic kindergartners everyday.

Janet Brady says:

Wow, do I feel like a wimp for complaining about slightly below freezing in NJ! My favorite warm up strategy is to be a wiener sandwich — get under a blanket with my 2 dachshunds on either side of me. I'm having a hot flash within 5 minutes.

amandajean says:

those are good tips for staying warm! i run my oven a lot more in the winter. and i've been telling all my friends here that this is the time of year that i LOVE that i knit and quilt. it's so practical for these frigid temps. we've been consuming lots of hot chocolate and hot tea in pretty mugs. that helps, too. :)

Anonymous says:

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

[…] Staying warm post mentioned :) […]