Do you do this?

Posted on February 2nd, by Amy in random, sewing. 64 comments

I have to wear slippers or some sort of shoe around the house.  Usually not the same one I’ve been wearing outside, especially this time of year.   They help my back from hurting, as I am on my feet non-stop, and keep my toes from freezing off!

I take off my right shoe when sewing, and when someone needs something, or the world is ending in the other room – I jump up and take care of things!

Am I the only one running around with one shoe on??
Today, along with all the usual sewing and household stuff, I’m sanitizing the house!  We’ve had three super sick kiddos (croupy cough cold)  the last few days, and I’m trying hard not to get it.  Hope you are having a great day!

—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Email me
add to kirtsy

64 thoughts on “Do you do this?

Amy Priddy :||: Priddy Creations says:

I am soooo cracking up! I do the same thing including taking off my slipper to sew. It just feels better sewing barefoot (or with socks). I don't like sewing with shoes or slippers on. I often wondered if I was the only one who did this. Right now I have on fluffy pink slippers!

Sherri says:

Definitely not just you! I have to wear my crocs in the winter for the same reason and take it off to sew as well….and with a 3.5yo and 7mo I'm often jumping up to tend to them with one shoe!

Lyn says:

Oh my gosh, I thought "I" was the only one who did that! I tell my hubs that I can't drive my machine with shoes on. I am always limping around with one shoe on LOL

Allie says:

That is too funny. I took a class at my LQS, and I couldn't sew with a shoe on!

Brooke says:

Yes, yes, yes…that's so funny because whenever I am missing a random shoe, I always find it under the table by the sewing machine pedel. Only one shoe though.

Emma says:

Absolutely! Although not so much right now in the heat of the Australian summer. At least I usually know where to find my right shoe! But in winter I find my sewing foot gets cold, and enjoy getting up to press a I piece, because the ironing board is usually located so the heather blows on my feet while I iron!

Dorothee says:

Absolutely and all the time, especially now that the unheated laundry room in our basement is freezing cold … and I always feel like a limping penguin.

Glad I'm not the only one!

audrey says:

I despise shoes and socks so I don't have that problem but I can attest to not being able to sew with a shoe on. It's just not right to sew with shoes on!

Bradie Sparrow says:

Yes!! I do that all the time. Isn't it nice to now we are not alone? :)

Luv 2 Kreate says:

I do it too! I also have a sick kid :( Hope they all get better soon…

WendyLou says:

Hahahahaha!!! NO!! You are NOT the only one!! I go about the house limping because I've kicked off my right shoe. Ya just have to be able to feel the machine when ya drive it. I've often wondered why in the world I just don't kick off both shoes at the same time :)

I hope this is a one-shoe day for all of us!!

Natalia says:

That's funny! I actually never wear shoes or socks! I have having something on my feet! :)

~Michelle~ says:

Yep, ditto…only it's my slippers

Jennie says:

No, you aren't the only one! I cannot sew with shoes on! I do it at quilting lock-ins and retreats, too. So does everyone I know… I don't think any of my friends can sew with shoes on!
    ~ Jennie

Erin says:

Aahahaha! I totally do that, too! My right slipper pretty much just lives next to my foot pedal.

call me crazy says:

Me too! :-) LOL Hope your kiddo's feel better soon!~

Lisa says:

Cute feet! (snicker, snicker) Good luck staying healthy! Go get some Emergen-C Immunity – fabulous stuff to keep you healthy or just make a cold shorter!

Candied Fabrics says:

Yep! We too have tile floors that KILL my feet – I am TOTALLY like you – too funny!

Mama Spark says:

I totally sew with one shoe off too! I constantly walk around with one shoe/slipper off and one on. I love my Sketchers slip on tennies too!!

amylouwho says:

that is funny! I haven't sewn much with my new slippers, but I have a feeling I'll be pulling one off. My feet get too cold without them on though, so I doubt I could last!

Anina says:

I just wear socks around the house. No shoes to take off, but I do spend quite a bit of money on socks. :o)

slow panic says:

i do that too. most of the time i am doing this crazy dance trying to get the shoe back on before i go out and save the world…

Cindy says:

LOL, me too, only it's my LEFT shoe.

I have to sanitize because of FOOT ODOR….ROFLOL…but not too close to where my showless foot is.

Suzan says:

I absolutely cannot sew with my shoe or slipper on. It's either a bare foot or a socked foot but nothing else!

Lis says:

Ha ha, this is obviously a quilter thing! I have lovely sheepskin slippers to keep my toes toasty but have to sew barefoot – so the right slipper by the foot pedal. Then when I have to leap up to go off somewhere it gets half put on, flaps about and is downright dangerous on the stairs!

rosecolouredworld says:

I'm a barefoot babe! Socks are the max indoors! My father always used to tell me I made him cold just to look at me, and my DH has a similar view! I think it comes from a childhood spent in the Far East!

Jaimie says:

I often walk around with 2 different socks on to keep my feet warm. My feet get so cold, and I often can't find my matching warm socks, so I'll just grab 2 random warm socks and put them on :) Right now I have a navy blue fuzzy sock on the right and a bright red sock with snowflakes on the left. Please nobody come over to my house right now :)

Anna.G. says:

me to me to!!!
    my sewing teacher always tells me it's dangeres, but i really CAN'T sew with any kind of shoes.
    i told her that i'm sure i'm not the only one but she didn't belive me.
    now i'm going to send her a link to this post! LOL

Army Wife Quilter says:

I have three sick kiddo's too. It is going around. I've been taking extra vitamin C. I think it is helping not sick yet. knock on wood. Good luck.

Ryan says:

I'm right with you Amy! It really messes up my sewing mojo to use my machine with a shoe or even a slipper on. I always sew in my socks.

Sarah says:

Ditto no sewing with shoes or slippers! In the winter my feet get so cold, if I'm sewing I wear extra thick socks instead of slippers. Glad to know the no-shoe-thing is so common.

Tipper says:

Hope everyone is all better soon!

CJ says:

Yup, me too! I find it interesting there are so many of us.

Shannon says:

I am too a one shoed woman half the time. It is funny when I walk around the house. LOL! I CAN NOT sew with shoes on.

Diane says:

Me too, I can't sew with a right shoe on even at retreats. I usually wear slippers or slipper socks to sew in. I live in Florida, doesn't get too cold here. Half the time I have to go get the other half of the slipper next to the pedal.

Trudi says:

you are not alone in the one shoe phenomena! Not a great day, but certainly not a bad one either, could have been a little more productive … oh well, tomorrow is a new day :) Enjoy the rest of the day Amy!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Obviously there are many of us with this bad habit!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Obviously there are many of us with this bad habit!

Cheryl Arkison says:

Obviously there are many of us with this bad habit!

Vivian says:

Another ditto gal here — usually fully clad left foot, and the pedal foot is bare or wearing a sock only. I'm going to show these comments to my hubbie to prove I'm not the only one. Ah — the sisterhood of the quilters. Such interesting similarities bind us together.

Aunt Spicy says:

I just got my boot off (my left foot was broken) and realized I couldn't find any of my left-foot-shoes!

Kathy says:

I have a theory:I learned to sew on my mom's Featherweight. Remember that tiny little button on the foot pedal? Did we have to feel that in order to run the machine? The only way you could do that is barefoot! I broke my pinky toe last year and had to wear a shoe – it was awful!

lilsproutzmom says:

I so do this my kids find it very funny they are always teasing me about walking around with one slipper on. My problem is that I tend to leave the right one by the foot pedal and then walk away and then leave the left one some where in the house and then when I want them I have to go searching! So glad I am not the only one.

em's scrapbag says:

I love this quirky little thing about you.

whatktmadenext says:

LOL! Glad it's not just me!

Sudi-Laura says:

I find my self at the ironing board with only one slipper on! I have much more control with my bare/socked foot!

Lisa M. says:

Same here! One shoe off, one shoe on :-)

Amy in SC says:

I CANNOT sew with shoes! I have a couple of friends who are learning to sew. My first step is usually to take off my shoe. I tell them it's a very important part of sewing – being able to feel the machine. LOL!

Beth says:

Me too! I cannot stand to have something on my foot when I sew, but I can't be shoe-less either. And of course, I end up half shoed more often than not! Thought it was just me!

Jackie says:

Too funny! I sew in my slippers. I find that most comfy. I hope your kids feel better soon and I am sending my best wishes for the cold not to get you.

Marianne says:

I do this too, all the time! Thanks for making me laugh today!

Kriza says:

why, is there another way to live and sew?? I thought this was what everyone did, sewing with no shoes on and running around the house in one shoe… :-)

I hope your kids get better soon!

Quiltin' Jenny says:

Yep, just like that. I always get embarrassed when I am taking a class b/c I have to slip my shoe off. But I cannot sew any other way.

Vicki says:

nope, I can't stand wearing shoes in the house. I'm in sock feet, or barefoot. :)

twin fibers says:

funny… I do the same thing when I sew! :)

Victoria says:

Ha! I'm a slipper girl, and do the very same thing when sewing!

mommymae says:

i go barefoot in the house, although i should wear house shoes for the same reasons you do. cracks me up that you walk around with one shoe off.

kanishk says:

Work from home India

Rita @ Mochi Studios says:

hehe! I wear fuzzy bear slippers around my apartment cuz it's so cold!

Sonja♥ says:

I ♥ it!!!
    Me too:)))
    Amy, you should write a BOOK with your quilt ideas + personal reflexions and other stay-at-home mom funny stories… A kind of "Secret Diary of a Quilter";)
    I'm sure you would have a lot of success!!!

Terri says:

Yes I do this lol….

nattyg says:

That's totally me!!!! :)

[…] button; removing the pedal, I can sew at the push of the button!  Out of habit, I did remove my shoe and feel for the pedal a few times, but it’s so nice to not have to use the pedal.  I […]