Featuring Ashley — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on February 5th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 15 comments

Ashley of Film in the Fridge is our featured blogger today!  I hope you enjoy getting to know Ashley a bit more.
—–
Hi Amy (and Amy’s readers!) Thanks for having me!

1. When did you begin quilting?
I jumped intosewing not too long ago. I never had any interest in sewing or learninghow to sew until all of a sudden I decided I wanted to make myself afew market bags. My mom gave me a little lesson on the sewing machineback in 2008 (the end of 2007? I can’t remember!) and it’s been nonstop since then! At that time I also fell in love with fabric andstarted collecting pieces of my favorites. I think Flickr was what gotme started on quilting. In looking up my favorite fabrics, I startedseeing beautiful modern quilts made out of those fabrics. The firstquilt I started was a cathedral window quilt (still unfinished! Ishould have picked something easier!)  I finished my first real quiltin October 2008 — a baby zig zag in fall colors. And after that, I washooked!

2. Why do you quilt?
I don’t think I could pinpoint the exact reason I like quilting somuch. There are so many parts of it that I enjoy. I love fabrics, ofcourse, and I love looking at a pile of fabrics and seeing thepotential quilts they could turn into. I also enjoy the freedom I havein quilting – I don’t often follow patterns, and I really like thefeeling that I’m free to cut and recombine the fabrics any way I wantto. It makes me feel creative, which is typically not how I woulddescribe myself.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
A quilting tip… let’s see… I think one important thing inquilting is making yourself enough space for some sort of design wallor design floor. I spend a lot of time changing up the order of blocks,or the entire layout of a quilt, and it’s really helpful to be able tostand back and see it as a whole – either on the wall, or on your floor- before sewing it together. I also almost always take a few photos ofmy final layout (or what I think is my final layout!). When I look atthe photo on the computer, I see things that I don’t see when I justglance at the quilt. This helps me make sure the layout is balanced,and that there aren’t any areas with too many blocks of the same color.

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?
The quilt(s) I entered into the Blogger’s Quilt Festival this yearare quilts I made for Jenean Morrison to show the two colorways of hernew line, California Dreamin’. I picked them because they were actuallyat Quilt Market at the time, so I thought it was only appropriate. Itwas fun, but also a bit nerve-wracking, to make something for adesigner that would actually be seen by other people!

5. Do you sew other things?
I mainly sew quilts, but from time to time I’ve been known to make a few simple bags, pillows, pillowcases (tutorial posted here) and when Spring comes, I always feel the need to sew up afew simple skirts or dresses for my wardrobe. I always return to quiltsthough – they’re definitely my favorite!

—–
Amy again!  Ashley – thank you so much for sharing your quilts with us!  I always love seeing how you use different fabrics, and how you put them together – thanks for the inspiration!

If you would like to nominate a quilter, to be featured, see this post for details.
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Email me
add to kirtsy

15 thoughts on “Featuring Ashley — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Zonnah says:

Grats! You do beautiful work :)

live a colorful life says:

Ashley was one of the first actual quilting blogs I started reading. I have quilted for 15 years but she has been instrumental in dramatically changing my quilting style in the past year. Thanks to Ashley, and thanks to you too, Amy, for the interview.

jenn says:

This was a lovely interview! Film in the Fridge defintely inspires me .. it is one of my favorite quilting blogs.

felicity says:

Count me as another fan of Film in the Fridge. Thanks for the great interview, Amy!

Aunt Spicy says:

What beautiful quilts, serious talent Ashley! Thanks for sharing such great quilters!

Lara says:

I love her work! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Amy says:

loved learning more about one of my favorite quilters and bloggers. thanks Amy and Ashley.

one question I've always wanted to ask Ashley is: how does she find the time?

Terriaw says:

I read Ashley's blog regularly, so it was fun to see your interview with her. Great feature! She sure makes a lot of quilts, doesn't she? I love how modern they are.

audreypawdrey says:

It is always neat to hear more about one of the blogs that I read!

Kelly says:

I had no idea that Ashley has only been quilting for a few years! I've been sewing and quilting for at least 30 years and I am so inspired by her quilts. She has a definite natural quilt ability!

amylouwho says:

I love her blog and her quilts. I'm inspired everytime I go there! Thanks for sharing!

Andrea Baker says:

wow what great quilts! I love the first one. It seems like a cool breeze kinda quilt!

Thank you so much for introducing us to her!

Cat says:

Great interview and beautiful quilts!

9patchnurse says:

I just found your blog and Wow! Love the interview idea and the pictures around town. I'll definitely be back ro read more and check out your tutorials. I'm having a giveaway at my blog this week for my birthday, 8 purty fat quarters!! Come check it out and have a little visit.

Goddess in Progress says:

Lovely write-up! I think Ashley has a great point, I really need to find a way to make some kind of design wall. I have found the same thing, viewing a picture on the computer screen helps me see the layout very differently. Now I just need a big enough wall to hang some batting for a design wall! :-)