Color!

Posted on February 18th, by Amy in Inspiration. 51 comments

I love color!  I’ve drooled over solids from time to time, admiring the variety of tones within one color group.   I convinced myself decided to purchase a color card for the Kona Cottons, after spending far too long deliberating the “perfect” color.

Faster decisions for me!  I’ve enjoyed admiring the board, imagining what I will do next.

Have you made a solid quilt?

It’s on my list :)

—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Email me
add to kirtsy

51 thoughts on “Color!

Susan says:

I made the Hooters! quilt using about 90% kona solids, just used a little owl print in the center of each block, and honestly? It's my favorite quilt, all those bright, hot colors!

Wish I had a kona card, though! One of these days…..

Jackie says:

The color card is a must have for all quilters who love these solids. That is how I place my orders to stock my shop. You need to get the right colors for sure.

Vicki says:

it's so pretty! I haven't made a quilt with all solids, yet. :)

silversmith says:

i've made quilts with all batiks before. i do have all the kona solids purchased and waiting patiently for a QOV. all dark blue and various yellow/golds and i think it'll be stunning when put together.

Cindy says:

No, I've never made a solid color quilt. Interesting thought though. I've often thought of a ONE PIECE quilt but a printed piece of fabric, not a solid one….hmmm..now you have me thinking again…and that's bad…LOL

Nichole says:

I bought one of those cards when Kathy first stocked them at Pink Chalk Fabrics. Best decision ever! I love it!

I have not made an all solids quilt yet, however, it is on the ever growing list. Whenever I look at that card I think of all of the fun color combination I could make. Have fun!

Happy Cottage Quilter says:

I have never made a solid colored quilt, but I do so love Kona Cottons. They are so great to use in most any quilt.

Natalia says:

I love those things! I bought Moda's bella solids color card and it's so much fun to look at! I'm not brave enough to make a solid color quilt yet! :) BTW I got two quilts done yesterday and I can breathe today! :)

Miss Nancy says:

Love your color card. Quite a rainbow of color. I do like Kona Cottons. They are wonderful. I use the the white for Redwork. But a quilt of all solids I am not so sure about. I should try it sometime. Thank you for sharing.

Have a great day.

Heather says:

oops, I bought the fabric and the pattern over 7 years ago and still haven't made it, i think I am afraid of the amount of hand quilting.

Emily {Creative Chicks} says:

I just finished up a "Plain Spoken" Quilt. It turned out even better than I could've imagined. Who knew solids would be so beautiful! I will definitely be making another "all solids" quilt.

Jackie Russell says:

I have a solid color quilt on my list of things to do too.

Mrs Moen says:

Yes, I have made a few all solids quilts (one of them was the one I entered into your Quilt Show), and I will make more. I think working with solids gives another perspective on colour and design.
    I have a stash of Kona Cottons in every shade, tint and tone imaginable (present from husband running late with his birthday shopping) and I love them all.

live a colorful life says:

I bought the color card, quite a few solid half-yard cuts, and then I found a great source of whole bolts, so I bought Kona white, snow, and ash. Now I need to start sewing!

Lisa says:

I've made a wall hanging of solids out of the Kaffe Shot Cottons that I love.

I really would like to make something bigger with them. It's also on my list! I love your Kona board. Great inspiration.

Sherri says:

I have the Moda Bella color card…and just ordered the Kona one…can't wait to get it!

Kim says:

I just ordered my Kona color card from Kathy over the weekend. I have wanted it for a while and finally ordered it. I want to make a solid quilt for my son, probably one from The Modern Quilt Workshop book. I just can't find solids anywhere locally! So now I can pick my favorites and order from Kathy.

KQuiltyBee says:

Not quite, although my last swap mini was 2 solids and 1 print. I love the intensity of some of the solids. I'd like to try some shot cottons for some subtlety.

ktquilts says:

Begged my mother for a Kona card for Christmas. Have used it twice to order solids, and they were just as I needed. I seem to like solids in every quilt, but I haven't done an all solids quilt…yet!
    Blessings,
    KT

Amy says:

Hey Amy — I have one of these color cards, and it definitely helps with the decision making. At least I can narrow down which colors to order. ;) I have made several solid quilts — 3 as samples for my new business that I haven't posted on the web, but also the McCoy quilt and the Zen mini quilt I just completed. I really love the solid colors and I think you can really do a lot with them. But all those lovely designer patterns are still so very tempting!!

~Michelle~ says:

I'm having one of my VQBs do solid blocks for me – I think it will throw a lot of them out of their comfort zones, they're all very traditional quilters who doesn't seem to use solids much.

chq says:

A girl after my own heart! I've lost count of my solid quilts now, everyone should make one (or 20!).

Thanks for the RT about my book.

Cherri

Meg says:

I have not yet made a quilt using just solids, but it is definitely on my "list of things to do". I invested in a Kona Solids color card last year, and I have to say, it has certainly encouraged me to push the envelope a bit with my color combinations. So useful. And so pretty!

zarina says:

I have! using my own hand dyed fabrics. There is one lap quilt waiting to be binded which was initially destined for a friend who reads this blog but since she's tall, i will reassign the quilt to another close 'short' friend.

Blue Is Bleu says:

I got one of those cards a while ago and I love it! Definitely saves time in deciding what solids to use! I have a solid quilt planned but have yet to find the time for it hehe

Tracey J says:

I bought that color card and LOVE it!

I think I want to join this group one of my bloggy friends told me about… and make a solids quilt.

lristaneo says:

I'm a bad person, I got the color card….LOVE IT!! Actually, I loved seeing all the colors so much, I got charm packs of all the colors, so now I have small samples and 5" square samples to stare at!!

Lesly says:

I have a colour card – it's awesome!

Andrea says:

I'm sure you've read about my year long goal/project to use all 200+ Kona Solids in solids quilts this year. I have the card and love it. LOVE. But you know what's worse Amy? The growing stash of Konas folded up neatly in a pile….solids are so pretty.

9patchnurse says:

It's on my list too and I've just started a wall quilt of shot cottons. I need to win your Canton Village giveaway for the kona greens. hint hint

Crystal Hendrix says:

I really like that. I haven't made a solid color quilt before but it is tempting with so many pretty colors! I know that over at Franseen, she is doing a paintbox quilt along using just solids. That was tempting!

Valerie says:

I'm making…currently. Following the "Framed Rectangles" pattern posted by Mary of Mary Quilts. Lime, turquoise, white, and green — all Kona, but I don't recall the bolt colors off-hand. It's pretty…bright! The backing is a cute "Happy Monsters" print — they remind me of little flourescent Frankensteins with sweet zig-zag smiles. It's for my nephew's birthday; he turns 2 in November!

WoolenSails says:

That is a nice idea, sometimes I hate having to try and find things in stores. Would be nice to match colors up first.

Debbie

Sara says:

Didn't know I could get those…

I've been wanting to make a solid color quilt…I'm thinking the turquoise line…

Trudi says:

Yes done a couple of traditional Durham wholecloths (technically all solids!) But I do have some wonky logs on the go in solids too!

DeeRoo says:

Never made a totally solid quilt but that's sounds like fun…just need more solids!:)

Me thinks I need to ask for a Kona card for my birthday!:)

Urban Crunch says:

I love my Kona color card! When it came in the mail I just stared at it. I tried to pick my favorite color but it's too hard!
    Have fun,
    Jaclyn

Candied Fabrics says:

We'll get you dyeing fabric yet! Come over to the dark side…(note: it also is MUCH less expensive – one of the main reasons I started dyeing my own)

Speaking of dyeing – did you ever do those curtains?

ooh! Stream of consciousness thinking…One of the things I'm noticing about people that read my blog is that some of the SIMPLEST things I take for granted are BRAND NEW to many people. How fun would it be for you and I to have long distance fabric dyeing lessons, via blogging??? A great way to show beginners how to dye!

Mary says:

This is so great – like paint chips, only better!

Debbie aka Marblesbestfriend says:

I don't have the Kona color card. What I do have is a stack of unidentified Kona solids. Learned my lesson though and now write down info from the bolt when buying. Hope to become such a prolific quilter that I need a color card. And yes, I would love to make an all solid quilt…maybe my second or third year quilting.

Quilts on Bastings says:

I love solid quilts, particularly the way the quilting stands out on the plain fabric. I have made a solid zig-zag quilt – here it is

fsdzhhhhhh says:

I have never heard of such a thing! How cool. i didnt know they even made all those colors so how do you find them all?

wishes, true and kind says:

I'm just starting my first solid quilt. Oops! I'm supposed to be cutting fabric right now!

2miracles/Tove says:

fsdzhhhhh is Me! Grrr Want a teenager. Curtis used the computer and didnt sign out of google. I didn't notice till. i posted sorry Amy.

ArtGirl/California/United States says:

oooh thats so cool! what endless inspiration. i wonder what you'll do with it in the long run – hang it on the wall?

ArtGirl/California/United States says:

Calico Road says:

Amy, this is so weird that you posted about solids today. I was JUST thinking of what to do with a bunch of 1/4 yd solids I recently acquired. In the past I haven't like solids, but now I'm trying to find a pattern I'd like to use. any suggestions? I'm leaning toward Plain Spoken.

Anonymous says:

Hi AMY IHAVE NEVER HEARD ABOUT KONA COLOUR CARDS WHERE DO YOU GET THEM? I JUST WON A BUNDLE OF ROBERT KUFFMAN PINK FABRIC AND I WOULD LIKE TO TRY AN ALL PINK QUILT FOR MY DAUGHTER. sANDRA DAVIDSON

Amy - Park City Girl says:

Sandra! Try Kathy at Pinkchalkfabrics.com she's got a great inventory :)

jaybird says:

nice! i have the moda bella solids card… so helpful!