Featuring Ariane — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on February 19th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 13 comments

Ariane of Ariane’s Crafts is today’s featured quilter!  I hope you enjoy getting to Ariane a little better –

1. When did you begin quilting?
I began quilting in August 2008. I was in need of a hobby, a creative outletto help me cope with stress. I needed something that I could do for myselfand use my creative skills. I had always been very creative as a child. Iwould draw, paint, cross stitch and do other crafts as a young girl. When Ihad my kids, I stopped doing a lot of those creative things. Then I wentback to work full time and I just did not take any time for myself, or doanything for myself. So, one day I found out my cousin was having her firstbaby and decided to make her a quilt. I only had basic sewing skills. My Momhad given me her old sewing machine. I had only used it to hem pants. But,when I went fabric shopping, I got drawn in by all the wonderful fabrics andmy creative side just jumped for joy to make something. I went online andread a bunch of sites about the basics of quilting and just did it.

2. Why do you quilt?
I quilt because it makes me happy. I get to take some time for myself. I canuse my creativity to make something unique. I love to share what I do withothers. People seem to love to look at quilts that I have made. I love to share the process with them. It helpsto keep me relaxed. I can focus on a project and forget about my worries for a bit while I am working.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
I think the best tips are to make sure your seams are correct. Using a 1/4 inch foot helps in this department. Once I bought a 1/4 inch foot my blocks were much flatter and my tips matched better. Trimming the blocks to ensure they are square, is also very important. Pinning..pinning…pinning. This also helps. When I first started I hated to do all these little steps. But now I realize that I am always much happier with the results when I take the extra time to do these things.

4. What was your inspiration for your QF quilt?
My Quilt Festival quilt was inspired by all the modern quilts that I was seeing online. I love these quilts. But I am more a traditionalist. I was making this quilt for my brother and is wife. They love modern things. So I tried to combine a modern color combination with a traditional log cabin block. I think it turned out really great. I also love scrappy quilts. I used a mixture of modern, contemporary, traditional, country, and reproduction fabrics. I just made sure they were in the same color way. It was fun to go to many different shops and mix all the fabrics.

5. Do you sew other things?
I do sew a lot of bags. I love bags. They make great gifts. I also sew outfits for my daughter. I am still learning about sewing clothing. I do find this a bit more challenging. I love to do hand embroidery too, and hand piecing. I always have some hand stitching project on the go to take along with me.

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
I am self taught. I have never taken any quilting or sewing classes. I just learn from all the wonderful tutorials online and from books and magazines. I wish I could take classes. But I work shift work. This makes it impossible to take a course with more than one class. The local classes never seem to be on my days off. So I thank all those who put tutorials on there blogs or flickr. It allows people like me to learn new skills without having to take a class.

—–
Amy again!  Ariane, I’m a self taught quilter too!  It’s amazing how much you can pick up via books and the internet :)  Your quilts and photographs are beautiful – thank you so much for sharing with everyone here.
Have a great weekend everyone~
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Email me
add to kirtsy

13 thoughts on “Featuring Ariane — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Dresden Quilter says:

Beautiful work Ariane, and thank you for the profiles Amy. It is great to get to know our bloggers better.

Fran Kingston-Dill says:

Thanks for sharing your work and your story.
    I love your log cabin, the colors are great. I also love the back of the quilt. I try to use left over blocks and fabric on the backs, it makes it more interesting than one solid color.

Georgina says:

Thank you Amy and thank you Ariane!! What impressive work – I love the back of the quilt as much as the front, and you have inspired me!

Zlaty says:

I am a reader of Ariane's blog and enjoy her stitching projects! I think I might of found her through the Quilt Festival. The baby quilt she made for her brother and his wife is one of my favorite of her things!

Zonnah says:

She does such beautiful work!

BJ says:

Thanks for introducing us to Ariane's wonderful work. Love the back detail, and her first quilt!! She's a natural.

I Purr-Furr to Craft says:

too cool! It has encouragement in it for all of us who want to quilt and not have the time to take classes, What a lovely sewer she is, i am sure it won't be long before the clothes she makes are just as creative. Taking time out for yourself is a great idea too.

SewCalGal says:

Amy, thank you for introducing us to Ariane. She is naturally talented and a wonderful quilter.

SewCalGal

henny says:

Amy, thanks for introducing Tara. Glad to know there is always somebody else who learned sewing and quilting by wonderful tutorials online, just like me :)

WoolenSails says:

Beautiful work and love the quilting on the flower piece.

Debbie

aniza says:

beautiful work, Ariane! It's amazing that that more and more ppl are into quilting and they are doing amazingly great quilts

Sandy says:

You learned from reading and doing.. no classes needed! Wonderful work!
    Sandy

pegsplace says:

I follow Ariane's blog because I am in awe of her! She pursuit of creativity at the same time as working and raising a family inspires me! I like to visit her blog to see what she has finished because she is a FINISHER! :).

I like your blog too Amy :)….inspiring!