Featuring Cindy — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on February 26th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 12 comments

Hi all!  Cindy of Sew Cindy is the featured quilter today!  I hope you have have fun getting to know Cindy more —
1. When did you begin quilting?
I began “sewing” when I about 7 years old watching mygrandmother sit at her Singer. I was always a pest, nagging her to letme use the needle. Once she did – I took it from there making dollclothes, doll blankets and always asking my mother if I could sew onthose buttons that fell off Dad’s uniforms. You see, Mom didn’t sew soI spent endless hours with my grandmother. Grandmother was also the onewho taught me to crochet. I thought I was on Cloud Nine whenGrandmother finally allowed me to sit at her Singer and learn likebig people.  I sewn my own clothes since I took Home Ec in the 7thgrade. I worshiped my Home Ec teacher because she had “all thosemachines!” That’s when I got my OWN first machine, bought and paid forby ME from babysitting money.
    The “quilting” part of my life has always been there but Inever really considered myself a quilter until 6 or 7 years ago when Istarted making “big” quilts (bed-size). I guess you can say thatquilting is now a full part of my sewing. I’d have it no other way.

2. Why do you quilt?

I quilt for the simple pleasure of it. To give someonesomething homemade from the heart puts a smile on MY heart. There’s nogreater gift than giving a gift.
3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
I don’t know if I’m really qualified to give a quilting tipsince I still consider myself in the “learning phase”. But, if I wereto suggest something to someone – it would be: “Don’t be afraid topress a seam open if it makes matching seams easier”. I recently had topress open seams on a wall quilt I made to allow the multiple points tolay flat enough to come together nice and “point-y”.  Maybe this stemsfrom me being a garment seamstress first – we were taught from thegitgo to press seams open.
4. What was your inspiration for your QF quilt?
My Fall Quilt, the pumpkin, came from my love of pumpkins. I’ve ALWAYS loved pumpkins and to this day, I call the kids “pumpkin”and as well as the grandkids.  Fall is pumpkins in our home, pumpkinseverywhere!! With that being said, it was appropriate to come up with apumpkin quilt.

5. Do you sew other things?

By my previous answers, it is obvious that I do sew otherthings. Garments, home decor, quilts, and a personal passion of mineare Christmas ornaments – of all styles.  Our three trees are coveredwith homemade ornaments from years and years. I love to make them, givethem and display them.
6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
I think what people don’t know about me is that I LOVEfootball – High School, College and Pro football. And I’m the same wayabout baseball.
 And a little secret “weirdness” about me is that I LOVE to playChristmas music year-round. I have more Christmas music on my computerthan any other kind of music.  I love the month of July – not for theseason but because of “Christmas in July” fabrics coming out in theshops.

—–
Thank you Cindy for sharing with us!  I tend to press my seams open too – and I too started with garments as a girl :)  Some habits are hard to break!

I hope you all have a great weekend,  thanks for the well wishes for Emmalie.  She seems to be on the mend, but Sophia and Owen may be moving on to the latest cold – we will have to see how that turns out.  I bound my largest two quilts yesterday – at this rate I will for sure be meeting my deadline – just hope my hands can keep up :)
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Email me
add to kirtsy

12 thoughts on “Featuring Cindy — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

craft-crazed says:

My grandmother taught me to sew too! when we would go spend the weekend with her we'd make barbie clothes and sleeping bags for our beanie babies :)

~candace

Happy Cottage Quilter says:

So happy to see Cindy's interview. Cindy is such a sweetheart. She was one of the first to comment on my blog when I started a year ago. Thanks for sharing a little bit more about Cindy and her gorgeous quilts.

Cindy says:

Thank you, Amy, for your kindness in sharing so much with others.

I truly am a "babe in the woods" in the quilting world but am enjoying learning, sharing and getting to know others.

Sewing hugs and blessings…always.

Anonymous says:

I love red and aqua quilt!!!! I am a newbie at quilting and sewing (about 8 months). I enjoyed looking at these sooo much. I don't have a blog, maybe someday.

Pamela
    Snuglewmn@aol.com

KaHolly says:

Lovely interview. I have been enjoying Cindy's blog for a while now! And can't think of a better person for you to feature today. She has been a true inspiration and motivator! ~karen

I Purr-Furr to Craft says:

Lovely interview! I am looking forward to checking out her blog. Congrats on another wonderful quilter.

SewCalGal says:

What delightful insights you shared on such a charming woman. Cindy is really a very talented and thoughtful person. Lovely post.

SewCalGal

Sherri says:

Congrats Cindy! I so enjoy reading your blog…and reading this info!

SheilaC says:

Great interview Cindy!!

Amy glad that Emmalie is feeling a bit better.

SheilaC

Ariane says:

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I love your quilts. They are wonderful.

ivyarts says:

Thanks for sharing Cindy. I love the pumpkin.

Vicki says:

Oh, I so adore that pumpkin quilt! So cute!