Featuring Andi — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on April 2nd, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 17 comments

It’s Friday again!  Today’s featured quilter is Andi, as in Patch Andi!  I hope you enjoy Andi’s quilts —

1. When did you begin quilting?
When I was 8 years old, my grandmotherwas hand-stitching a grandmother’s flower garden hexagon quilt. It wasthe only quilt she ever made. Whenever I visited her during that year, I gotbusy making hexagons and sewing them together. (I wish I knew what became of thosecreations).

A few years later, my mum taught me to usea sewing machine.  It wasn’t until I was in my latetwenties that I put the 2 concepts together and started machine piecing quilttops. I was never interested in the actual quilting process and always sentthem off for long-arm machine quilting.
Until ….. that original quilt of mygrandmothers needed to be re-quilted . (The original quilting had beenout-sourced and was done very badly). My wonderful teacher Judy Newman atAmitie convinced me to hand quilt it myself and I became hooked. Thank youJudy!!!!

2. Why do you quilt?
I quilt because I love:

• colour
  • being creative
  • fabric
  • design
  • connecting with other crafters
  • fabric (I KNOW I said it twice)
3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
Don’t worry too much aboutperfectly meeting corners or exact measurements. Enjoy the process, have funwith it and treasure your creations. Remember …. ‘wonky’ is ‘in’.
4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival Quilt?
My quilt festival quilt is superscrappy which I love. That’s one of the great things about patchwork ….Making use of every little bit of fabric scrap to make new and wonderfulcreations.
The design is VERY loosely based on aquilt by Kaffe Fassett called ‘Nona’ from the Passionate Patchworkbook.
5. Do you sew other things?
I also love to sew bags, notebookcovers, cushions/pillows, pencil rolls and other smaller items that can be usedas gifts. I really love giving handmade!!
6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
This year, I left my ‘day job’and have started a business creating memory quilts by commission. So far it hasbeen a wonderful new journey with a slow trickle of business that I hope willgrow to become a gently flowing stream. That way, I can still focus on being amum to 2 delicious red-heads (Jake is 6 and Ella is 4), and a wife to my Dan.He puts up with SO much!!!!

—–
Congratulations Andi, and much success in your business!

Have a great weekend everyone~
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

17 thoughts on “Featuring Andi — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

wishes, true and kind says:

Wonderful! I was just looking at some of her quilts on Flickr! I love the scrappy look of her quilts and use of color. Her quilts are a joy to look at and it sounds like a joy to make. Keep it up, Andi!

joan

Anonymous says:

Don't know how to see your quilts on flicker. But, I love what I see here. So much color and so pretty. Thanks for sharing. Lots of inspiration for a newbie.

Pamela
    Snuglewmn@aol.com

MomBrose says:

Her quilts are so pretty! I love that brightly colored block quilt!! :)

Mandy says:

Sorry to be a nuisance but, like Pamela, could I ask to see links for Andi's work?

Mandy says:

Thanks so much, Amy. What a delightful Blog Andi has.

Georgina says:

Love your work Andi – good luck with the new venture!

Andi says:

Thanks Amy for having me visit your blog this week and thanks for all the kind comments from your readers.

Andi :-)

Kate says:

As someone who doesn't make quilts but loves to look at them, Andi's work ticks all the boxes, gorgeous fabrics, lovely patterns and lots of colour and interest. It is obvious from the quilts that she is in love with making them.

One Flew Over says:

Andi is a gem x

Jodie says:

Andi, makes such beautiful quilts and is is such a great warm funny person.
    Great Interview

Elizabeth says:

What a great spotlight! Andi's quilts and words of wisdom are wonderful! Thanks to both of you!

audreypawdrey says:

I really enjoyed this interview and love Andi's quilts! They are all so beautiful, and I do enjoy visiting her blog so much. Good luck with your business, Andi!

Allie says:

Such gorgeous, vibrant quilts – great interview – had to go become a follower, lol! Thanks Amy and Andi!

Marit says:

Lovely quilt Andi ; )

And good luck on growing you own business!

Posie Patchwork says:

Love fresh quilting, super colour blasts, gorgeous!! Love Posie

Dresden Quilter says:

What gorgeous quilts. I love reading all of the stories.

Ariane says:

I love Andi's work. This was a great interview!! Thanks Amy!!!