Featuring Rita — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on April 30th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 9 comments

Odds are you know today’s featured quilter – it’s Rita from Red Pepper Quilts!  I hope you enjoy getting to know Rita a little more –

1. When did you begin quilting?

Rita’s First Quilt
I began quilting about 10 yearsago.   Both my mother and sister are quilters, and it is their passionfor quilting which appealed to me, and with their encouragement I beganmy own quilting journey. My first quilt is dated 2001 and was madeusing a magazine pattern.  When I look at my first quilt I can see thatI have made so much progress, and that my eye for color and design haschanged direction.  This quilt even represents all those elements ofquilting that I currently try to avoid – applique, hand stitching, handquilting and hand stitched binding!

2. Why do you quilt?
I quilt because I absolutely love it.  I love my fabric stash,enjoy fabric and color play and enjoy the freedom of piecing without apattern.

3. What is your favourite quilting tip?

My favorite quilting tip: – Break all therules, and do what works well for you.   I do not have a sewingbackground, no training in design or color, but have found my own wayto work towards making quilts that appeal to me.
4. What was your inspiration behind your Quilt Festival quilt?
My inspiration for the Quilt Festival quiltwas to exhibit a quilt that was made early in my quilting journey – attime where I was still reliant on others to choose fabrics, and as suchthis quilt was made from a complete fabric kit.  I did not dare toalter the layout of this quilt in any way.  My fabric and color skillshave since progressed – at first by taking calculated risks in fabricselections – and feel that I am now at a point where I am confidentwith my own fabric choices.

5. Do you sew other things?
I don’t sew other things … at all.
—–
Rita – Thank you so much for sharing your quilts and your journey with us!    I love your use of color :)

Happy Weekend Everyone!
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

9 thoughts on “Featuring Rita — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Jackie says:

Love Rita's quilts and her blog! She does wonderful work!

Thimbleanna says:

Thanks to both of you! Rita is a fabulous quilter — I love her blog too!

Blue Is Bleu says:

Love Rita's work… always stunning and inspired.

I had to laugh at the answer to Qn 5… I respond the same way lol

BaileyGirl5 says:

Very inspiring! I just started quilting last year and I hope someday I can look back at my quilts and see that I've grown. I hope … I hope….

It's nice to get reminded that even amazing and prolific quilters started at the beginning.

Kelly O. says:

love her work!

Allie says:

I LOVE her blog – great interview!

AnnieO says:

Great to get to know Rita a little bit. I enjoy her blog a lot and she is generous with her techniques and idea process, just like today's guest visit to you!

Quilts on Bastings says:

Great interview Rita – that first quilt brings back some memories!

amy smart says:

I loved this too. I love Rita's use of color! Her quilts are fabulous and always inspiring.