Roman Shades Complete

Posted on April 30th, by Amy in finished project, sewing. 46 comments

Checking this project off my list feels SO good!

Our lamp is still trying to find the right home, since rearranging everything.  We did have a table lamp, but, one little boy accidentally trashed the shade….

up

Fabrics are Amy Butler, the home decor fabrics have such a nice feel to them.  Slightly more $$ but worth it for a quality covering in my book!  That is partly why I did the roman shade, 2 yards per window vs. 6 – 8 yds for a full length curtain.

one down
I lined these with black out lining.  Fabrics fade really fast here in windows, and I didn’t want to take a chance at my gorgeous fabric fading.  Plus, having the living room dark will be nice for movies, and the hot summer months to come.
two down :)

The windows are on the small side, so I decided to mount them over the window and made them a few inches wider and longer, to give them more of a presence.  I really, REALLY like them lots!

cord lock, eye bolts, button holes

I purchased my cord lock, and rings on etsy.  Yesterday I was convinced that the cord lock didn’t work – thankfully Joe had a look at it, and I had goofed it up.  Today they are gliding up and down, locking as I want them too – yay!

rings for cording

I used a zig-zag stitch, with the smallest stitch length, I ended up dropping the feed dogs too, in order to sew the rings on without too many holes in the fabrics.  There is also a dowel in the hem to keep things flat as it lifts.

My rings are spaced 9″ apart and start 6″ from the bottom, then every 12″ up from there.  All in all they went together really easily, getting them hung with Joe’s help alleviated a lot of my frustrations.  I know some of you may have more questions, and I will do my best to answer them in the comments.

I hope you have a great weekend~
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

46 thoughts on “Roman Shades Complete

tong says:

Wow, they look so good!! I've been thinking of making roman shades for our living room, did you follow a tutorial?

Candied Fabrics says:

Woot! These look awesome! Genius to sew the rings on my machine – did you sew them before or after you'd attached the lining to the front?

Amy - Park City Girl says:

I gleaned a bit of information from youtube, but not really a tutorial to speak of. Roman shade are so custom, per your window measurements….I did cut the fabric 2" wider and 4" longer than the lining to accommodate hems – I didn't want to see the black out on the edges.

Candy – sew the whole thing together then attach the rings. You need both layers to move/fold with the rings.

Lesly says:

They look great! Gosh, I love that fabric!

Trudi says:

The blinds look fantastic Amy! and a happy coincidence, I have that print too! I can confirm that in the height of summer Venice is truely as beautiful as the print portrays it. Happy weekend!

Mary says:

These look awesome, Amy! Great job!

Nedra says:

Beautiful colors. I love any fabric by Amy Butler, and these look perfect in your room. Good job making Roman shades. I've never tried them because they look complicated.

Cindy says:

Beautiful!

grendelskin says:

Amy, your shades came out gorgeous! I've had plans to do this for a looong tiem for the kids, but I haven't because (gulp) I'm scared of da math. Maybe I can do it now, since yours are such an inspiration!

MomBrose says:

They look beautiful Amy! I'm sure you are SO excited to have that project done AND have it looking so great!! :D I've always been intimidated by roman blinds but you make it sound easy :D

Sara says:

Great job, Amy! I've been wanting to make a roman shade for our kitchen but have chickened out. Seeing how great yours came out and ready your blog has given me a bit of courage to tackle the project.
    Well done!
    P.S. I love the wall color.

Vicki W says:

They look fabulous!

Alyson says:

The shades look really great. If someone is looking for a tutorial I really found this one helpful..http://jenduncan.typepad.com/whats_new/2008/11/roman-blind-tutorial-in-20-pictures-or-less.html.
    I just love the fabric you used!!!

Tales From My Empty Nest says:

These are wonderful. I love Amy Butler fabrics and your turquoise walls are beautiful!!! Love & blessings from NC!

Jane says:

Great job! You should really be proud of yourself!

Shawn says:

Your shades turned out great Amy. I made my first pair in Jan and used the ring tape and the back doesn't look good at all. I was wondering if I could just sew the rings to the fabric. After seeing yours I know that's the way to go. I put this project off for a long time too, but the shades are pretty easy and look wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

sharon says:

Your blinds are fabulous! I saw that tutorial before, but was kinda of nervous to try them. I think I might attempt after seeing yours. Thanks Sharonj.

Lynda says:

Your Roman shades are amazing. Love the fabric. The bright blue walls are so striking. Hope you saved some of the fabric for pillows too.

ktquilts says:

Wonderful!!!! Great job!!!

Blessings,

KT

Jean says:

These are wonderful..love them!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson says:

Holey Smokes Girl!!!! Those are incredible. Wow….you make me look like I have no taste and I can sew a stitch. I'm going to have to add those to my to do list….they look amazing!!!

Smiles,
    Kelly

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

You did an amazing job Amy! They look tailored and professional! I love the fabric choice for your room.

Allie says:

Oh Amy those are just FABULOUS! I love the fabrics and the colors – very professional looking job!

SewCalGal says:

Amy, your shades look great. You did a fantastic job!

SewCalGal

PS – When I was in college I lived in snow country. I made special shades with insulation. Really helped to keep the cold out. The shades looked like quilted wallhangings on one side (e.g. size of the window).

Thimbleanna says:

Wow — those are awesome Amy. Great Job@

Anonymous says:

beautiful fabric, great job, Honey, Love, Mom

beki says:

Looks wonderful! Good job :)

Debbie aka Marblesbestfriend says:

They look fantastic! Thanks for the tips.

Marcia says:

Beautiful!

Mindy says:

These look awesome Amy! Love the colors and pattern. I'm a big fan of Roman Shades but would never dare trying to make them myself. :)

Busty LaRue says:

Those are beautiful!

I'm currently in the process of making curtains for my living room, and using black out fabric as lining as well. Which side did you put facing the window: the right or the wrong side?

Amy - Park City Girl says:

Busty – I put the right side (non plastic) facing the window.

Good luck with your project!

AnnieO says:

Very very smart and pretty. They match your beautiful new walls just wonderfully. Good work, woman (and DH for helping)!

Carol T says:

They turned out really cool. I love the color of your walls. My husband would never let me pick such a cool color!!!

jenashford says:

Wow! Those are beautiful!

Cheryl Arkison says:

We have almost the exact same colour in our living/dining room. But something tells me Hubby wouldn't go for that fabric on the windows! They look great.

upstateLisa says:

the shades look great! I don't have the patience to make window coverings anymore! More power to you!

Miss Nancy says:

Looks really good!! All bright and cheery. Congratulations on a job well done.

Have a great day.

Blue Is Bleu says:

They look amazing! The fabrics are just perfect in that room. Nice job!

audreypawdrey says:

They are so beautiful, and they look great with that stunning wall color. You did a great job!

Elizabeth says:

Those turned out really nicely! I would love it if you put up a tutorial of sorts for the Etsy shop you got the rings and locks and where you got your cording and how you did the wood across the top. I think this would be a wonderful way to finish the French Doors in my kitchen. Thanks for the great inspriation!

mathea says:

I just love your roman blinds – beautiful fabrics and very well made, as far as I can tell :-)
    The colour on your walls is fabulous too – could you reveal the name/colour code, please?

Terriaw says:

The shades look beautiful! I love the fabrics you chose, especially on those blue walls. Sounds like a fun project. I bet you're happy to check it off your list now.

Kim D. says:

Love the Amy Butler fabrics and your walls are such a pretty shade of blue. Your shades look perfect in the room. Congrats on a beautiful finish.

Megan says:

Those are gorgeous! Great project! Congrats on a job well done :)

Crystal Hendrix says: