Let Summer Begin!

Posted on June 9th, by Amy in My kids. 19 comments

As of noon today my girls are officially done with Kindergarten (Emmalie) and 4th Grade (Ella)!  I’m really excited to have them home for the summer :)

No rushing to get them out the door in the morning, and no need to constantly watch the clock for the pick up times.  I plan to consolidate our errands into a once daily trip out, from the usual three – the school is not far, but loading and unloading kiddos is a CHORE no matter how you slice it!

The weather has finally been cooperating, and I’m thinking about putting my winter coats away for a few months.  Afternoons in the back yard with the kiddie pool are here at last!

This all sounds good right?  There’s just a tiny bit of me that is sad.  Both girls had GREAT teachers, they loved being in the classroom and soaking up all the wonderful information fed to them each day.  Seriously, Emmalie and Ella were both a bit sad today, because they won’t be seeing their teachers everyday.  Emmalie asked if she could keep going, no break!

The other part that makes me sad is that they are growing up SO much, I just try not to get too far ahead of myself or I turn into a weepy mess.  (Ask Joe on that one)  I’m so blessed to be their mom, and so proud of them — I just had to share here with you!

That’s what is on my mind today, what about you?
—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

19 thoughts on “Let Summer Begin!

Lis says:

What a great post and it sounds as if you're really making the most of every minute with the girls as time does go so quickly. Have a brilliant summer all of you :)

Gale, Ky quilter says:

Sounds so good that they are off for the summer. When my kids were little, summer break was a blast – we let all the schedules fly out the window and just enjoyed life day to day. Now they are grown and I can recall so much of the happy times we spent together. They do grow up fast and it is a blessing to have children to raise. My daughter has two little girls so I now have two grand daughters who are the lights of my life and my son, who is 23, beat testicular cancer 2 years ago. It's hard to watch them grow up but so sweet to have grown, happy, healthy children, too. Enjoy your summer!

galew417@comcast.net

Mindy says:

Ahhhh. I understand – it's crazy how quickly the time flies by and our babies grow up. Enjoy this summer and all of the wonderful memories you will be making!

BaileyGirl5 says:

I really understand how you are feeling. Time does go way too fast when the kids are little, but it sounds like you are enjoying every moment. I did too and I'm so glad now when we all reminisce about the crazy times when they were little. Don't worry … they turn into your best friends when they get older. I swear!

Lindsay says:

very lovely post, isnt summer break nice! but make sure you print it off and post it somewhere so that when they come home from grade 1 asking for make up and talking about boys you can remember this moment…lol

Q says:

That's such a precious moment for moms and kids. I still remember my first day of summer when I was in kindergarten – I felt free, and confused, and happy, and a little lost. Enjoy this great time with your little one.

mom says:

Amy, you are a sweet mama! The fact that you already recognize how fast they are growing up means you will take the time to savor each moment with them. Too many moms realize that much too late!

Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~

MomBrose says:

I'm with you. I love summer and all the laziness that it entails :D But I do love when they have good teachers and learn so much! I'm determined to keep the learning up this summer (as opposed to last summer's chaos!). I love watching my kiddos grow and I too try not to get too ahead of myself. Learning to cherish the now is a task I think most moms struggle with.
    Admittedly I will NOT miss packing school lunches for a few weeks :D

Nicole says:

Its really hitting me this summer how quickly my little boy is growing up, he starts kindergarten this fall and is already asking when summer will be over so he can go! They just grow up so fast

Terriaw says:

Yay for summer! Hope you enjoy this time, especially before they are teenagers and off doing their own thing.

badlandsquilts says:

Yesterday was the last day here, and my 2nd grader cried when he got home because he doesn't want a break either… So far so good, he helped me a lot today and the fighting has been minimal!

Alyson says:

Oh, I loved your post because I had the same scene two weeks ago with my 5 and 6 yr old. We were so sad to leave school. This is a summer to treasure!

WoolenSails says:

Mine are all grown up, and I do miss when they were little and we did those fun summer things that are always so much more magical when you share them with children.

Debbie

Tonya's Sewing Room says:

"school's out for summer" woohoo….I just have one, so I can't imagine getting 3 in and out of the car, WOW…i can't help but look at yesterday's post, over 1000 comments, granted I know one person can do up to 6-7 and this post, 18 comments. lol

shout4joy says:

we homeschool, and are in a very oppressive regulation state, so we still have to jump through a few more hoops before we can call our year done :P

I love it when they love to learn! Here's hoping they have some good teachers next year, too!

Shelly says:

You are so right — they grow up soooo fast. Enjoy them while you can . . . Hot days in the kiddie pool sound divine!

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

They do grow up so fast – take time to enjoy and be proud.
    I am very proud of mine right now too – just at different levels – wonderful new dad for one and interview for VA job as a master of social work for the other.

jmommy08 says:

I feel the same way and my daughter isn't even two yet! I look forward to the days when she's old enough to do things with me, but I really enjoy our time right now and it's going to change so much. Now I'm getting all weepy eyed.

Congrats to your girls on a successful year! Here's to a great summer!

Micki says:

Kids do grow up so quickly, so enjoy each and every moment with them!
    Micki