Simple Sampler Quilt Along — Week 5

Posted on July 19th, by Amy in quilt-along. 23 comments

Happy Monday!  I have the blocks for our Simple Sampler – I hope that you are having fun, and maybe learning a bit too.  I’ve been tempted a few times to sew up all the blocks, but I have really enjoyed doing two blocks a week with you guys, so I haven’t!

If you are starting now, these will catch you up -
Simple Sampler Quilt Along Details (includes a pic of the quilt)

This week we have a 6-Grid Chain, these are great blocks to alternate in quilt tops, and a perfect addition to our sampler –
To make the Chain block you need:
6 – 2 1/2″ squares from two fabrics
From your solid:
4 – 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ rectangles
4 – 2 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ rectangles
Lay out your pieces in the block formation, we will work from the center out.

Pin and sew your center 4-patch

Match up your center seams, and complete the 4-patch.

Pin, sew and press your seams open.

From the sides add, the 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ rectangles.

Pin, sew and press your seams open.

Next, add your 2 1/2″ squares to both sides of the remaining 2 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ rectangles.

Pin, sew and press.  Line things up again -

Match up your squares, pin, sew and press.

Almost done!  Add the rectangles to the sides once again.

And the remaining squares to the rectangles.

Pin, sew and press.

Add the top and bottom to your block.

Pin, sew and press once more :)

Our second block is variation of a 4-patch, we are adding hourglass blocks to it.

Here’s what you need:
2 – 6 1/2″ squares in one fabric
1 – 7 1/2″ squares in two different fabrics – these will be your hourglass blocks.

Take your 7 1/2″ squares back to the cutting mat, and cut on the diagonal.

Then cut into quarter-triangles, I’ve found a second ruler, with the 45 degree angle to help mark the center, and keep things straight.  Just move it away once, you are all lined up, and cut.

Repeat with your second 7 1/2″ square.

**There is another way to make an hourglass block – we will get to that method later…

Layout your pieces, as you would like to sew it.

Lay the quarter triangles over one another.

Pin, and sew from the center, out.  We will be trimming the outside of the block later, so having the center match up is more important.  Press your seams open.

Now turn the triangle units over on one another, match center seams, pin and sew.  Press open again.

We trim the hourglass blocks down to 6 1/2″ to match the squares that we cut earlier.

With your ruler lined up on the 45 line, also mark the center of the hourglass at 3 1/4″.  Trim two sides, then turn your block line it up again, and trim the other two sides.

All trimmed up and ready to finish the block!

Join the left and the right.  Pin, sew and press.

And join both halves together.

Here’s all my blocks!  Three more weeks of blocks, then we get to add sashing – it’s coming together!

**After you make your blocks, post about them on your blog (or flickr), then post a link here:

Please post a permalink, do this by clicking on the title of your post, and copy that url, then paste it in the linky.  Thanks!
How are you doing with these?  Little more tricky, but fun – I love the variety we are getting :)  My blog will be down this week for a few hours of maintenance and so I made a pdf of the instructions, the file is pretty big, but it’s all there!  Check my shop for pdf’s of all the weeks.
Happy Quilting~

—————————————————
Next steps:
Shop with Amy
Become a fan of Amy’s Creative Side on Facebook
Email me

23 thoughts on “Simple Sampler Quilt Along — Week 5

jaycad says:

I love the fabrics you're using, and two more really nice blocks.

2miracles/Tove says:

ACK! I have managed to get them cut out and now two more!!!!!YEECK! I'm so behind. I have the first two weeks sewn. Sewing today is my goal! Nice block, you did such a nice job picking these blocks to go together.

harleywife says:

Hang in there 2miracles !! I AM BEHIND TOO !!!!! we will catch up , and if we don't , we will finish afterwards ! NO PROBLEM ! :0)

Brittany says:

Finished! I loved both of these blocks so much. I think the triangles are getting easier.

Jacque. says:

WAIT!!!! I've been down with pneumonia, so am way behind…was hoping you'd be late in getting up this week's blocks, Amy. haha. ohwell. Since I'm not working this week, I should be able to get all caught up.

andie says:

Catching up too ladies!! Went on vacation. I did finish through week 4 today and will start on week 5 tonite, maybe!)

Carol says:

I finished mine. This weeks were easy to make.

bethanndodd says:

Love the blocks! Can't wait to see it all done. I am going to have to bookmark this quilt-a-long and do it another time though…life is just too busy right now.

mequilting says:

Thanks for the blocks this week Amy, and for the pdf incase we come on for the blocks and your site is down! I can't imagine! :) I will probably work more on the blocks tomorrow, for now my brain hurts so i am going to bed!

Joanna says:

I like the 6 grid chain. I've been visiting the other blogs and really love seeing the blocks in the different fabrics.

Shannon says:

These bocks were so much fun to make. Thank you.

syocom says:

I finally got caught up. I am so excited!

missknitta says:

My blocks are up! Thanks for another really fun, really educational week!

And **love** the new look of your blog :)

Pam says:

This such an exciting project that I am keeping up! Thanks, Amy!

Lucy says:

I got my 9th Block done tonight, it is getting easier but then again it is a little crooked….but I am learning

Lucy

Heather says:

I’m having so much fun looking at everyone’s blocks! It’s amazing all the different fabric choices!

Lucy says:

Friday night and I worked on my 10th Quilt Block and I finished it and I am Proud of my Work. I think I am finally catching on and fine tuning my “how to”
    I am really looking forward to Monday when the next blocks are posted.
    Thanks to Amy for your patience with me and all the encouraging words you have given me….Lucy

I am finally getting my blocks up. Wow, it has been a week. I am looking forward to next Monday and hopefully getting to it sooner in the week. I also need to finish my quilt for your challenge week. It’s got it all pieced, I just have to quilt it now. Good Times :)

Lindsay says:

Finally! My blocks are complete! Great blocks this week Amy! thanks for putting this all together!

Karen Lange says:

Finally got the pictures from week 5 plus all 10 blocks posted. Now on to week 6 blocks.

I’m really enjoying seeing the blocks made by you and the others!

Karen

Jill says:

AHHH I’m behind! LOL Just got done with these, hopefully will have week 6′s done tomorrow! Loved doing the hourglass block! Thanks Amy!

Shannon Lowe says:

I love these blocks! Thanks for the great quit along! I am learning so much and having a blast!

Kerry says:

I am almost caught up! See my pretty new floors underneath my blocks. That is what has been taking my time for the past three weeks. We did the entire house. A lot of work but so worth it!