Featuring Amy — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on August 27th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 13 comments

Hi there!  I’m excited to feature Amy today from Diary of a Quilter.  We’ve been blog buddies for  a while now – I always like seeing what she’s been up too!  I hope you enjoy getting to know Amya bit better —

1. When did you begin quilting?

I first began quilting when I was about 12 – my mom taught me how to hand piece. I never actually completed anything except a little quilt for my sister’s doll, but it got me me started. The second time I began quilting was after I had my first baby and I was a new SAHM. I needed a creative outlet big time and I started taking some beginning quilting classes. Even though I thought I kind of knew what I was doing, taking those classes taught be so much and gave me a wonderful foundation.

2. Why do you quilt?

It’s my sanity and still my creative outlet. Now with four busy kids, life keeps me on my toes, but quilting is the thing I do that STAYS finished. I’ve eliminated a lot of excess ‘stuff’ from my life, but I know that in order to feed my own soul, I need to do something that I love, and quilting is it!

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?

I have two:

First, if you can, take a class. Even though I’ve now made a few dozen quilts, I still learn something new every time. Plus, it’s a lot of fun to hang out with other quilters.

Second, don’t let stressing about perfection take all the fun out of quilting. Just go for it! Honestly, no one but you will see your mistakes. They’ll just see the whole creation and they’ll be in awe. :)

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?

The inspiration for my Quilt Festival quilt was the original vintage curtains that hung in my mother-in-law’s bedroom when she was a little girl in bath Maine. Looking at them, I was so struck by how popular the colors are right now. I knew we could make a wonderful quilt to match the curtains and hang them in my own little girl’s room. I have to say, my sweet mother-in-law was so excited when she saw it all together.

5. Do you sew other things?

Sometimes. I really enjoy creating with my sewing machine. In the past few years I’ve started making bags, which I love, as well as baby gifts like embellished burp cloths and nursing covers. I would REALLY love to get more confident with making clothes. I’m so inspired by all the gorgeous clothes people are making at home these days.

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?

My life is chaotic. Sometimes I think people wonder how I find time to sew. Well, it often means that my house is never perfectly clean, my husband always has shirts that need ironing, I don’t watch a lot of TV, read as much as I used to, or cook many fancy gourmet meals. Other times, when we’ve got a lot going on, or say, the third Hunger Games book is released, I don’t sew as much.

But even when I do get my sewing groove going, it’s rarely for long stretches of time. I once heard of a woman who only allowed herself to sew for 30 minutes a day – that was her down time – and in just that little bit of time each day, she made oodles of quilts over the years. I think I’ve taken that example for my mantra. I carve out a small amount of time, enjoy it when I’ve got it and don’t feel any guilt for doing it. I think the basic key, is just finding a system that works for you and not worrying about how other people do it.

—–

Thanks for sharing Amy!  Our lives and approach are so similar!  I rarely sew for hours at a time, but always have something in process that I can work on when I have a few minutes to myself.

I hope you have a great weekend~

13 thoughts on “Featuring Amy — A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Patty says:

Beautiful Quilt – Thank you for sharing

Beth says:

I am in love with your quilts, Amy!! Reading that you used your Mother-in-law’s childhood curtains as inspiration for your daughter’s quilt made me tear up (just a tiny bit). That is so precious (for all of you!). And the colors are beautiful! Your Arcadia & Hope Valley quilts are just are pretty to look at. You have given me some inspiration as to how to use some of my Hope Valley fabric…thanks!

Amy is great! Thanks for having her and letting us see her projects -again!

I LOVE the red & aqua together – such a great quilt! And your advice at the end – perfect!

Allie says:

I love what she said about quilting being the one thing that STAYS finished – oh my gosh truer words were never spoken! Wash the dishes, and 5 minutes later you’ve got a sink full – vacuum, and the dog sheds immediately. There’s no end to laundry.
    Great interview – thanks Amy!

Lindsay says:

I love all the quilts! I can totally relate with the living a hectic life and finding time to quilt. All of my friends ask the same thing. Thanks for the great interview, both of you!

Kimberly S says:

Such amazing work, and fabulous inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Cathy A says:

Pretty quilts! I especially love the orange and blue one!

Amy, I just realized that somehow your feed dropped off my list. :( I have missed so much!! Fun to see Amy featured too. Her bqf quilt was one of my favorites!!

I love how you describe as feeding your soul. I feel the same way!

Cecily says:

I think I find a new blogger to follow for just about every Quilt Festival quilter you feature! Thanks for all the inspiration!

vicki says:

These quilts are all so pretty–I love reading about your featured quilters!

The first quilt on this post I have made before into a baby quilt. Turned out darling. I did the top in flannels and the back was in fleece. Then I tied it. What is the name of your pattern? I call it “Chair Rail” – but I’ve lost my pattern. Do you have a copy or know where I can find it?

Thanks so much – love your blog.
    Tina “The Book Lady”