My New Bag

Posted on October 4th, by Amy in bag, finished project. 29 comments

Hi there!  I hope you had a great weekend.  My sewing time last week was – ZERO – and I used the weekend to make up for that…at least a little!  Do you look at stuff and think “I could make that!” and then never do?  Or take months to finally figure it out?  I draw out ideas for new bags after I visit a mall (not very often!) or see a cute bag at the grocery store (more often!).  Months later realize, it’s still a great idea and now, I’ve made it!

Saturday, after spending a solid hour cleaning, my allergies have been a mess, I set out to draft pattern pieces and sew this little gem.  I love having external pockets!  I can always find my keys, a pen fits easily, yet snug so it won’t fall out.  I put a zipper pocket inside – something I haven’t done in years, maybe even decades!  Easily done with a zipper foot and a little patience.

Overall it measures 10″x 12″ x 2″ big enough for what I need, but not so big I lose stuff at the bottom.  Common problem for me!  Only bummer was in my excitement, I forgot to add the magnetic snap I pulled out for it.  Guess I’ll have to make another!

The pattern – my own

The fabric –  Alexander Henry, available at FabricWorm.

The hardware – Clover 1 5/8″ rings

I’ve joined Purse Week at A Lemon Squeezy Home – if you’ve made a bag recently you should join too!

Hope your week is off to a great start~

29 thoughts on “My New Bag

Becky M says:

I love it, it’s adorable. I should join purse week. I have at least 3 purse projects waiting for my attention!

Sally says:

That did come out cute! Funny how we forget techniques, isn’t it? I do like a zippered pocket in a bag and they’re not *that* hard, as you say.

Love the bag, Amy! It is really cute! I have yet to make a purse, probably because I am a bit intimidated by the thought of making a purse!! I need to give it a go!

vicki says:

It’s really cute, Amy! I can’t believe you didn’t get sewing time during the week–glad you made up for it!

Terri says:

Cute bag! Looks like a great size and I love the fabric combination. Don’t you love having a zippered pocket inside? I’m addicted to those.

Miss Nancy says:

Love the bag and the fabrics! Very modern and well done.

Have a super great sewing day.

courtney says:

love it! the shape is adorable- and the fabric colors are great!

upstatelisa says:

really cute! Yay for sewing time~!

Ahhh that is really cute…I love Alexander Henry fabrics!

Dree says:

That is so cute! I have been meaning to draft up a bag pattern. I love bags with outside pockets too–but I need one to hold my kleen kanteen! It is not easy to find a bag that holds one, especially outside. It fits into the inside of my current purse–so the kids are always grabbing it out. grrrr

Beth says:

Oh Amy, I love it! This just might be one of my “i could make that” projects :). And good for you for making something for yourself!

I finally jumped in and created a blog. Now I will be able to join the Bloggers Quilt Festival the next time around. Thank you for inspiring me!

Smiles

Lindsay says:

Super cute Amy! I love it! I am going into sewing withdrawal here with this move, so i did a little this morning before i finished packing my sewing machine up. 1 more sleep till we move, and then i can get back to quilting! Im excited!

Allie says:

Oh well done, Amy – that is BEAUTIFUL!

so we added chickens says:

What a great bag! I too am a fan of strategic external pockets. And I love your fun fabric choices.

Carla Louise says:

Love the bag, Amy! Great job!

Shannon Lowe says:

You need to turn this in to a pattern. It is adorable and now I want to make one! :)

aunt spicy says:

oh gosh, that is really fun! love the way you did the straps!

kIMt says:

FABULOUS!

That is one cute bag!

Karen G says:

You never cease to amaze me with your creativity!! Great idea! Cute bag!

pat sloan says:

a purse a week would be mighty fine!!

CUTE! Those little pen pockets are adorable! Bravo!

Elise says:

Sweetie, I love it!!!”

E;izabeth says:

Cute bag Amy. Are you selling this pattern?

Virginia says:

Love the purse – such a great design.

anna says:

really great job, love the colors and those pocket are perfect. :)

Judy LeVang says:

I love your purse! It’s enough to turn me into a purse collector! ;)