The Sewing Summit

Posted on November 1st, by Amy in The Sewing Summit. 25 comments

Hi Friends!  How’s the Festival treating you?  I hope you all are enjoying the hop!  I had hoped to share my quilt with you all today, but I ran out of thread while quilting.  Stink…I’ll be working on getting more today.

So, I thought I would share an exciting project I’ve been working on!

My friend Erin from Quilting Bee Blocks, and I have spent the last couple of months researching and planning, an event that’s just for us!  We haven’t been able to say much online about it yet, but we have been planning it since July and are absolutely bursting with all the great stuff we’ve got going so far — you are not going to want to miss it!

We’re planning lots of stuff to do with sewing: classes on machine quilting, bag making, garment construction, improv piecing; make and take projects, question and answer panels with some of the best sewists in our industry … but we’re also having an online side to it: using social media, participating in online quilting bees and swaps, blogging.

Who should attend? You!  We’ve wanted from the start for this event to be for the people that sew as well are somehow are involved with the online community (if you’re even reading this blog — that’s you!).  Imagine gushing with your online friends about your favorite newest fabric line, in person! Or stay up all night and chat and sew with friends in our all-night sewing room packed with sewing machines! Or enjoy dinner and explore the city with a group of friends that you’ve been in quilting bees with, and have known online for years – but have never met face to face!  Sounds like a complete blast to me…what do you think!?

It’s scheduled for October 7-9, 2011 in downtown Salt Lake City. One of our main goals is to keep it accessible for lots of people to attend, so we’re trying to give you plenty of time to plan for it. We hope you’ll want to make a girls vacation out of it and come along with a big group of your bloggy friends! We promise we’ve got more awesome details coming soon – but here’s a few hints: our venue is a 4-star hotel in downtown Salt Lake City with a room rate under $100 per night!  Swag bags that are going to be filled to the brim with awesome stuff, probably worth more than the ticket price alone!  Famous sewing and quilting bloggers!  We’ve got them – some already committed to coming in and we’re on the look out for more!

What you can do right now —

• Start saving a bit of your fabric money each month, so you can come!
  • Help us spread the word – blog, tweet, share on Facebook!
  • Grab a button from our site!
  • Complete our survey.  We are planning this for YOU and want to know what you want!

What do you think?  Can’t wait to see what you think!

25 thoughts on “The Sewing Summit

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by artfulife, Amy Ellis. Amy Ellis said: The Sewing Summit http://bit.ly/aPOGIy […]

Becky M says:

This sound totally amazing! I have to figure out a way to go!! And thank you for organizing the festival. It’s been really fantastic.

Mickey / Harleywife says:

sounds like FUN ! maybe ……( it’s a long way from Indiana !) BUT I was in a fabric store here this weekend and they were talking about a weekend retreat they do in January . I asked her about it and was told this will be the 6th year , and they don’t adverstise it because it fills up the year before … so , I may have to travel to do a retreat !!!

Sally says:

Am so looking forward to it, Amy; keep those bits and pieces coming! I’m trying to recruit a non-quilty friend or two and all extra information is good fodder!

Jen says:

Oh no — it sounds awesome but it’s the same week-end as Thanksgiving here in Canada (which is always the second Monday of October.) I would love to go so much…maybe in 2012 it won’t fall on the same week-end. In 2011 I’ll just have to enjoy it vicariously!

Stefanie says:

This is awesome! Now I know what to ask Santa to give me for Christmas :0)

Stefanie

Beth says:

The BQF is so inspiring. You are a genius for thinking it up and a dear for sharing it with all of us!

The Sewing Summit sounds like so much fun, Amy!!! I really would love to come. I guess I’d better work on the hubby now :)

Have a great day!

Care says:

SIGN ME UP RIGHT NOW! :D

Meagan says:

That sounds like so much fun! I am definitely interested to find out more about these plans!!

~ Meagan

Terriaw says:

I think this is such a fabulous idea, Amy (and Erin)! I have seen sewing conventions going on, but they just weren’t what I was looking for (maybe not youthful enough for me? or too garment-focused) I love the idea of being able to attend sewing (not just quilting) classes and participate in panels. I can’t wait to attend this summit, and hopefully meet my blogging friends in person. Would love to help out in any way you might need.

This DOES sound amazing!

Audrey says:

I am starting to save right now! This sounds like so much fun, and I am glad it will have a mixture of garment sewing and quilting, since I love both!

Jennwith4 says:

Sounds so fun! I’m going to put it on my calendar and start sweet-talking my husband a little every day about it! ;)

Tilly Tatas says:

Sounds wonderful but as I’m on the other side of the Atlantic I’ll have to pop by online.

sherri says:

It’s on my calendar…I’ll be there!

Peggyann says:

wow, this is an ambitious project! Can’t wait to hear all the details. I’m certainly not going to say I can’t come.

SOLD! I am forwarding this to my peeps and am totally coming! This sounds PERFECT!

Stephanie says:

This sounds awesome! I would so love to come need to do a fair bit of saving as I’m in Australia!!!

Allie says:

I wish I could be there!~

SewSara says:

Yay!!! Finally an event in Utah!! I’m SO there. Can’t wait to hear more details!!

Sara (in Provo)

daisy says:

wow it sounds an amazing idea! if only i didn’t live half way around the world i would say: count me in!!!

Anonymous says:

Sooo excited, sounds like heaps of fun!!

Mel says:

Can’t wait to hear more!

Diane Harris says:

This sounds amazing! I hope to be there.

OOOH! Something fun! I may have to ponder this one!