Featuring Candy — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on May 10th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 9 comments

Counting down to Bloggers’ Quilt Festival, I’m featuring quilters from last fall all week long!  I hope you enjoy getting to know Candy better ::

1.When did you begin quilting?

I was 17, and anticipating going away to college. I wanted a new Laura Ashley comforter for my dorm room and we wouldn’t be able to afford one and I did NOT want to bring my grandmother hand-me-down candlewick bedspread to college! My mom had a friend who was a quilter, she lent me a book on how to make a sampler quilt, and I spent my senior year making a pink and purple quilt, putting the finishing quilting stitches in the very morning I had to get on a plane and go off to college!

2. Why do you quilt?

Because I have to. Simple as that! I am an awful person to be around when I’m not making, and quilting is my chosen art form!

3. What was your most recent fabric purchase?

150 yards of white prepared-for-dyeing fabric. I work exclusively with fabric I dye myself, although I still occasionally buy a bit of really great fabric as an inspiration.

4. What is your favorite quilting tip?

I’m a HUGE fan of fusible batting, it makes basting quilts so much easier!

5. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?

I had been saving some extra special pieces of hand dyed fabrics and realized that I needed to just go ahead and USE THEM, and so chose a very simple pattern to allow the beautiful fabric to take center stage.

6. Do you sew other things?

Yes – I have a whole line of what I call “everyday art”: bags and journals that are functional and feature a small little art quilt on their front.

—–

Thank you for sharing Candy!  I love your fresh colors!

9 thoughts on “Featuring Candy — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Jill says:

Wow! That quilted house is absolutely adorable. I love your work Candy, it’s really all just amazing.

vicki says:

I love Candy’s work… I’d love to see a picture of that first quilt!

Suzanne says:

I love the colors and the skinny sashing on the quilt.

Candy says:

Thanks All! And thanks Amy for the feature! I love sharing my work with quilters – they totally GET it!

Lynda Brown says:

I really enjoy these blogger specials. So many talented quilters to be inspired by. Thanks for sharing.

Allie says:

LOVE Candy – been following her for a couple of years and am constantly amazed at her creativity! Great interview, thanks Amy!

Victoria says:

Candy is one of the most enthusiastic, joyful and all around nice people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Wonderful to learn a little more about this wonderfully creative woman. Thanks to both of you for sharing!

(That bed quilt is beautiful!)

Jeanne M. Wallace says:

Why do I like to quilt, because I love making things, and seeing what I can make, I love going to all the sites and seeing what I can learn that I have not seen before, love being being with the people that pretty much feel the way I do.