Featuring Denise — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!
Counting down to Bloggers’ Quilt Festival, I’m featuring quilters from last fall all week long! I hope you enjoy getting to know Denise better ::
1. When did you begin quilting?
I began quilting around Christmas time in 1995. A friend at work brought in some quilts she had made and showed them to me and I fell in love (I remember making the comment many years before when I saw a quilt in a shop window that “I don’t really like quilts, I don’t think I’d ever want to make one, it looks so boring” – famous last words! Quilts and quilting are at the top of my list of very favorite things!). I bought my first quilting magazine (still have it!) shortly after seeing my friend Leslie’s quilts and I bought material to make a quilted Christmas stocking that I saw in the magazine (which still isn’t finished by the way). For Christmas that year, my husband bought me an inexpensive sewing machine from the local 5 & Dime (I don’t even think they have these anymore!) and I was off and running. I soon joined a small bee, then a guild and it’s been an obsession ever since!
2. Why do you quilt?
I quilt for a few reasons…
- It allows me to feed my inner artist without being artistic. I always joke that I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler, but with my quilting, I feel like an artist!
- Even though no-one in my family quilted, or really even sewed, I love the feeling of being connected to past generations of women through this craft.
- I love the social aspect of quilting – quilters are just such nice people! I love that you can join guilds and bees and go to shows and see friends you only see maybe once a year and it’s like no time has passed. It’s a wonderful community – in-person and on-line.
- I LOVE FABRIC!!!!
- I mostly love quilting because it brings me such joy. I am very grateful to have something I love to do so much in my life.
3. What was your most recent fabric purchase?
The Blue Skies line by Sharon Holland for Paintbrush Studios.
4. What is your favorite quilting tip?
Cut big and trim down! I know it takes longer, but it’s the only way I can be precise!
5. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival Quilt?
My lovely daughter-in-law, Raqhel. She wanted a quilt and I wanted the quilt to really reflect her and I think it does. It’s sophisticated and modern but fun! She wanted the brown/black/cream scheme and I chose the pattern and I love the result – and she does too.
6. Do you sew other things?
Not if I can help it – LOL! Seriously, I don’t really. I’ve done a bag or two, some placemats and napkins and I did some fabric wrapped baskets two Christmas’s ago. But, quilting is my “thing”. When my daughter was younger and her class would need some costumes or something sewn she’d tell the teacher “my mom sews”. I’d always respond “I don’t sew, I quilt!!”
7. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
I’m a paralegal by trade but am trying to figure out how I can retire and quilt fulltime (not likely anytime soon-LOL!) My husband and I are Disney-holics. We go at least once or twice a year (and sometimes we even bring the kids). Since the kids are grown, our “baby” is our Pekingese puppy Lilly whom we adore.
Thank you for sharing Denise!