It’s Like Magic!

Posted on June 13th, by Amy in work in progress. 28 comments

Working with Wonderland by Momo again, has been a lot of fun!  After much deliberation, and a little experimentation…this is the main quilt -

Aren’t my helpers cute?

After chopping up four blocks, and putting them back together, I decided I didn’t need to push myself out of my box on this quilt!

Since the blocks are so full of pattern, and a variety of strip widths, the wonky blocks are even busier than I had imagined!  While it was a fun experiment, I decided to surround the few blocks with Bella Tan, and let it be.  It worked out to 60″ square, and I like it, but was so glad that I stopped there with the wonky cuts!

The  busy blocks are so fun all together, and it measures 93″ square…which qualifies it as a queen size quilt!

I can’t wait to get this one finished up!

What did you work on this weekend?

I’ll be back tomorrow with a “Sewing with Kids” post!

See you then -

28 thoughts on “It’s Like Magic!

Janet Yatska says:

That turned out really nice!. It looks like a Fun quilt!!
    I had wondered a few days ago when you put the strip of blocks on the tan fabric what you were doing… It turned out beautiful!!

Suzanne says:

I admire your willingness to chop some blocks up. It’s one of those things where you don’t know until you try, right?

I finished my sun quilt (a teacher gift for the classroom) and 7 small quilts. As I photographed them hanging from my fence and the wind played with them, I thought of you and your video tutorial. :-)

Wendy says:

Gorgeous!! What are you using for the backing?

I snagged a copy of the “Stash Happy” book and am making the Hobo bag using my leftovers from the Modern Maze quilt. I think it will be cute!

Tabatha says:

It’s fantastic, I love it, it’s so bright and cheery! I’m still working on my first quilt (week 3) and wonder where everyone finds the time to whip out a quilt top a week! I don’t even have little ones!!!

Carla says:

I love this! The backing is just a little crazy and goes well with the others. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

Glad you stopped wacking!! I thought the quilt was perfect just the way it was when you first posted it. Beautiful!

Beth says:

Oh my goodness…it is beautiful!!! Those fabrics make me happy :) No sewing for me this weekend. Instead I got to watch my boys play some baseball…8 games in all!!! Looking forward to your post tomorrow. Smiles~beth

Miss Nancy says:

A really, really fun, bright, and cheery quilt. Well done.

Have a super great sewing and stitching day.

I love this one, Amy! I love the fabrics, the colors, and the design you chose! Perfect!

Helen says:

It looks lovely – just the thing for a summer quilt!
    P.S. Your helpers are oh-so-cute!

Amy Newbold says:

You threw this together super quick! Great work woman!

Good calls in the end!
    I worked on sleep this weekend.

Natalia says:

Very cute Amy! I think I like it better left than wonky :)

Linda Hall says:

It looks terrific! Sometimes simple is best!

Lee Ann L. says:

Wow! I am in love with all those colors! And to be honest, I’m loving the wonkiness too! :-)

Audrie says:

It’s gorgeous! Looooove Wonderland :) I’m so glad you didn’t chop up all the blocks heehee!

Becky says:

So beautiful! I really love the colors! I just finished up a baby quilt for a friend of mine. It’s quite smaller than yours and didn’t need any helpers to take the photo. :)

Trudi says:

It’s beautiful, I could be tempted to cut into my FQ stack, but then again! lol I spent the weekend finishing up my It’s a Hoot Bricks quilt, now for the binding :)

Nancy D. says:

It looks great!

Candy says:

LOVE it! BOth sides are perfect!

leslie says:

this is so gorgeous…i love wonderland

Julie Fukuda says:

Beautiful, but how can anyone sleep under something that bright?
    I’ll be glad too finish one table runner by the time the week is up.

Patty says:

I LOVE your quilt. Is there a pattern or how do you ever do one like that? How do you begin?

andrea says:

I loved it, beautiful colors!!thanks for sharing

It’s a great quilt Amy! Are you going to tell us more about your design plan? I have Wonderland hanging out in my stash and this is looking like something I might like to make.

Allie says:

Wonderful – yep, the wonky blocks ARE too busy, they look good tamed down though. Lovely quilt and helpers!

Katrina H says: