Featuring Angela — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on July 8th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 15 comments

Today’s featured quilter is Angela!  Angela is a local friend, I’ve had the pleasure to meet, and I’m so excited to share her story and quilts with you.  Enjoy!
1. When did you begin quilting?
2 1/2 years ago, I was pregnant for the first time.  I found myself really wanting a special quilt for my daughter.  I looked around for a pattern, hoping my mom could make a quilt, yet nothing really jumped out at me.  My hubby and I decided that we wanted a Charley Harper theme for her bedroom, and so that became the inspiration behind the quilt I knew I wanted for her room.  I took an applique class at a local store and from there I designed and created my very first quilt.  I’ve been quilting ever since.

IMG_9860

2. Why do you quilt?
Sewing is therapy to me, for some reason –my hands are busy, and it seems when my hands are busy my mind is just a little quieter.  I also love to create, and so ideas are always coming to me.  I guess quilting and sewing are my outlet for my nervous energy and creative ideas.

IMG_9848_2_2

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
Try something different!  Every time I make a new quilt, I always try something new.  A new skill, a new shape, a new color palette, or something completely wacky like my interactive play quilts.  I find this is where I learn the most, and so I encourage others to do the same.

IMG_9849

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?
I made a series of Interactive Play Quilts and the Americana Appliqué Scenes was by far my favorite.  I was born in 1980, and the baby blanket I had was made up of bold primary colors, no pastels: red, blue, navy, white, yellow, and green made up the quilt.  These colors were very popular in my childhood, and I find myself still loving them today.  Along with that, the applique scenes in this quilt were also inspired from my childhood.    My favorite memories inspired the scenes in this quilt:  playing in the front yard, going to the zoo, playing “school” with my sister, along with all the other toys we had.  When making this quilt, really it was just a walk through my childhood.

IMG_9883

5. Do you sew other things?
Yes, I love sewing things for both my home and for my family.  I create unique fabric wall art pieces, using turned edge machine applique techniques.  I also love sewing pillows, handbags, items for the kitchen, and things for my 2 year old daughter.

IMG_9871

—–

Thanks for sharing your quilts with us Angela!  I espcially love this one above for your daughter, with the album- so precious!

I hope you all have a great weekend!  I’m headed to Sisters, Oregon for a fast weekend full of quilts – don’t worry, I’m taking my camera!!

15 thoughts on “Featuring Angela — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Lynette says:

Thanks for sharing Angela with us. I love the interactive quilts!

Wow! Some beautiful and unique quilts from Angela! Thanks for sharing.

AShley says:

I am in love with your quilts!! Beautiful! I really love the quilt with the house and toy chest….genius! Hopefully I can quilt that well one day. Thanks for sharing and all the tips!

Beth says:

Love your quilts…so creative. Thanks for the inspiration Angela!

Have fun this weekend Amy! Smiles~Beth

Lynne says:

Thanks for bringing us these posts – I enjoy reading them and looking at the quilts. That purple one is fabulous!

Thank you for introducing us to Amy and her beautiful quilts!!

Julie Fukuda says:

Lucky you! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend!

Allie says:

GREAT quilts! Love the butterflies and the interactive quilt. Enjoy Sisters, Amy!

Thanks for the feature Amy, I really appreciate the nice post. And thanks to everyone for all their nice comments –I’m blushing!

Heather says:

Very nice quilts Angela. The butterfly quilt is awesome. I totally agree with you, quilting is a great form of therapy.

Penny says:

Wow Amy! Angela has a really creative spin on quilting, thank-you for the heads up on her work!

Tommy says:

I am very very impressed with the butterfly and several other designs. What great pieces of artwork these are. I cannot do this.

evelyn says:

Beautiful quilts Angela. I love the stips with the photo album. And the purple diamond pattern- I can imagine one in that pattern , and my colours , on my living room wall. Thanks for sharing.

evelyn says:

My first comment got lost. Ok.
    Beautiful quilts Angela. I love the stipe one with the photo album. And the purple diamonds is a great pattern. I would like to try one for my livingroom wall ( in my colours). Thank you for sharing.

amy smart says:

Great quilts by Angela! I feel lucky to have met her this year too. Here’s to hoping to see more of Angela in the future!!