Featuring Marjorie — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on July 29th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 11 comments

Hi all!  Today’s featured quilter is Marjorie!  Marjorie has  some fantastic quilts and great tips – I hope you enjoy getting to know Marjorie more!

1. When did you begin quilting?

In the late ’80’s, I went rock climbing with my oldest brother’s ex-girlfriend who offered to help me to sew a winter parka. Being easily distracted by bright shiny objects….I noticed the quilt projects she was working on, and the rest is history. I still have the parka, the first project and the girlfriend ( whom I normally introduce as my sister).

2. Why do you quilt?

Because my painting sucks and I need a creative outlet. And I hate to be cold. This way I can sit under quilts both while and after I make them.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?

Try every new trend and technique that you hear about at least once. And follow blogs of quilters of all different styles to give you ideas that wouldn’t normally come up with your favorite style. When you are ready to try applique, give back-basting needle-turn a try. It completely converted me from an applique hater to Applique Addict.

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?

The Joseph’s Coat was my first on-line quilt along and the gateway to blogging. The quilt was a graduation gift for my older daughter. She picked out fabrics from the stash that I never would have put together. I would take the fabric to Boise State Football parties and made drunk people and children pick the fabric combos for each square.

5. Do you sew other things?

Only if absolutely necessary. I was traumatized by a particularly spiteful sewing machine in my teen aged years. That’s probably why I prefer hand-work to machine piecing or quilting.

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?

If I weren’t so lazy, I’d start a campaign to keep “piecers” from calling themselves “quilters” . You know who I mean. “Quilter” should be equivalent to “Triathalete”. The person who picks out fabrics, joins them together and then stitches 3 layers together to make a QUILT.

My “day job” as a Registered Dietitian really cuts into my quilting time. I’ve recently started a nutrition blog and am about to start a series of posts that was a challenge from Pepper Cory to post fast, healthy meal ideas that busy quilters can make that doesn’t cut into valuable stitching time and helps to off-set all the time we spend sitting.

—–

Thank you for sharing Marjorie!  I love your encouragement to try anything once, you never know what you will like!

Have a great weekend everyone, I’m looking forward to a little sewing –

This post sponsored in part by:

[adrotate group="1"]

11 thoughts on “Featuring Marjorie — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Suzanne says:

Marjorie’s suggestion about staying well rounded as a quilter is really wise. We have to try lots of techniques.

Cecily says:

So happy to see you featuring Marjorie! She is one of the sweetest bloggers out there and her quilts are amazing! :)

Lynette says:

What terrific quilts! I love Marjorie’s call to follow all types of quilters’ blogs – I learn so much from folks who quilt different styles, and frankly, it’s very refreshing to look at something different after you’ve seen the same pattern, color, and fabric choices thirty times in a row. (Not that I don’t get a kick out of watching the fun trends that roll through the global quilt blogger community.) And -hehe- I know just what she means about differentiating “piecers” and full-fledged “quilters”.

I have recently just learned the back basting needle turn method of applique (also called the English method) and am loving it. Thanks for introducing us to Marjorie. And I am more than just a piecer I am a quilter!

Andee Neff says:

I am also forever saying that my day job cuts into my sewing time! LOL, but I have to work to buy the fabric!

Tam says:

Great interview. Love the Joseph Color quilt. Look forward to seeing easy recipes to leave more time for quilting. Can use more time all the time.

Julie Fukuda says:

Not only is Marjorie’s work gorgeous, she is kind and generous with her help and advice. I have shared her tutorials with my quilting friends and I look forward to each post.

Lynne says:

Thanks for another great interview; I love the tip about reading blogs in different styles and trying everything possible. I’m still a novice so that’s not difficult for me but I must be vigilant about not closing my mind when I see quilts I don’t fancy!

Thanks Amy and Marjorie (I’m off to check out Marjorie’s blog now!).

Ethne says:

It’s through Bloggers Quilter Festival and my comment to Marjorie that we’ve become internet ‘friends’ – she even went on to challenge me with an applique project and I’m working away on it – congratulations Marjorie on you blogger interview and thanks Amy for the world of quilts you open us all up to on the Blogger Quilt Festival

Allie says:

GREAT post – love her answer to number 2! Her quilts are just wonderful!

Mary C in WA says:

I guess I’m a “piecer. I didn’t think there was that much of a difference. I know about those finicky sewing machines of olden days that thwarted our efforts. Your doll quilt is precious. Thanks for introducing us to Marjorie.