Sewing With Kids — Week 8

Posted on August 11th, by Amy in Sewing with Kids. 12 comments

My kids all want to learn to sew, and so we are on a sewing adventure, and they hope to end up with new quilts handmade at their own hands! Check out what we made each week this summer!  Sewing with Kids — week 1week 2week 3week 4week 5, week 6, and week 7.

Where has our summer gone!  I can hardly believe I’ve managed to be so consistent with these posts, thanks for your encouragement along the way!  Check out our progress this week –

As of yesterday morning, Owen, Sophia, and Emmalie’s quilts are all complete!  To make these quilts, simple, and a fast finish for the kiddos, we backed them with fleece, and did not include any batting.  They are comfy and cozy, with a special meaning since they made them!

Of course, each had a little different contribution.  Owen worked the foot pedal for me while I guided the fabric through the machine.

Sophia and Emmalie did all the piecing on their own, after I added a couple pins for them.  Then they worked the pedal while I added the fleece, and did the top stitching.

Sophia selected the rainbow cheetah print, and she loves all the colors!  Emmalie selected the peace signs, in a mellow peachy pink.

In case you are curious -

Owen’s cotton & fleece came from Joann’s – I didn’t have anything on hand that he liked.

Sophia’s cotton is a Hoopla Layer Cake, and the fleece is from Joann’s.

Emmalie’s cotton is a  couple of Anthology, Folk Life fat quarter bundles, and again the fleece is from Joann’s.

I quilted through the double layers, a rectangle on the girls’, and following the seam lines on Owen’s quilt.

—–

With their quilts complete, I think they will be happy to let me sew on my own for a while.  That, and school is starting in just two weeks!  I’m starting to look forward to it – usually I drag my feet to the first day of school, but 6 hours with Owen only in the house, I’m thinking it will be kinda nice.  And there’s the potential to get lots done too!

This post essentially completes the summer series.  Ella has a quilt to make yet (she’s promised to work on it for an hour today), so I will share that quilt as she works on and finishes it.  I will probably sneak in a few posts here and there, as we make little projects though.  I hope we’ve encouraged you to try something new with the kids in your life!

Have you posted any Sewing With Kids projects?  Leave me a link in the comments – I would love to stop by and see what you’ve been up to!

Sponsored in part by -[adrotate banner="43"]

12 thoughts on “Sewing With Kids — Week 8

Lynne says:

Lovely quilts. You are a great example of what can be achieved with care and patience. Thanks Amy.

One day I hope to sew with my grandchildren (only boys so far, aged 18 months and 6 1/2 weeks) just as I did with their mother when she was a child!

Cindy Sharp says:

Living with three teen age boys is fun. They will come and visit while I sew, they might even be convinced to help pick out colors. However, I have better luck getting them to cook.

Sounds like you are a great Mommy. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

Leila says:

Great job kids!! (and mom too)

I am really impressed. I know it takes a lot out of me to sew with my kids – my goal this summer was one project. :) Here is the link.

I have been following this whole series and I hope my daughters are as into sewing when they are older. (2yrs & 10mo) Thank you for showing us these wonderful ideas!

Lynette says:

I’m so impressed! You’ve had a great sewing summer with your kids. :D

Tove Leggett says:

That is so funny that is what you did with the girls, I did the same projec with Alice, squares and fleece on the back! Great minds must think alike!!!!!!!!!! they did a good job!

Amy says:

So fun!!! I am sure they will be very special to them.

Queenie says:

What wonderful activities you have shared with your children this summer; memories to be treasured for a lifetime.

Sasha says:

The quilts turned out beautiful! Your kids should be so proud!! And you too mom =D I think they will keep and treasure these for many years to come!!

Suzanne says:

I love how you scaffolded the project for each of your children so the task met their level of experience and capability.

Leah says:

Great job on the quilts… My older two kids worked on a quilt top this week… and its finished, we just need to buy the backing tomorrow when we are in town.

And the completed top

Sue says:

It’s over already? Here in Nova Scotia summer seems to have missed us, or mistaken us for a rainforest! I’ve enjoyed your series, and look forward to when you sneak in more sewing with kids posts. Beautiful quilts!