Taking the Time

Posted on September 12th, by Amy in In the Kitchen. 21 comments

I’ve been waiting and watching for raspberries to finally ripen here, while at the farmer’s market asking about availability and such.  The ladies at one stand, that I like to frequent, mentioned that they usually just have a couple flats and they go fast!  So I added the opening time to my calendar, with a reminder earlier in the day – and purchased their only two flats!

Therefore, this is what I did over the weekend:

Lots and lots of jam!

Of course there’s a bit of a back story — growing up in Washington state, there were berries everywhere.  We would pick the wild blackberries, and my dad’s raspberries, and he would make jelly and jam for anyone, and everyone that would have it.  I also remember visiting you-pick farms and gathering strawberries for jam as well.  It’s all so good!  Piece of toast, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, pancakes – anything you like sweet delicious jam on!

Fast forward to me with my own family, packing three lunches for my girls daily, Sophia likes plain cheese and bread, Emmalie like peanut butter & jelly, and Ella will eat anything.  The thing with Emmalie is, she either has a super refined palate or she’s picky, but she only likes grandpa’s jam or the expensive little jars at the store.  She can tell the difference, when I buy the cheap stuff!

And so, last year I set out to learn to make the jam, so my dad doesn’t have to ship it when we are out.  I’m proud to say, it’s not hard, like most things, it’s just a matter of taking the time to actually do it!  Each of the four batches I made this weekend took about an hour, and hopefully we will be stocked until next year when we can do it again.

What did you do this weekend?

Hope your week is off to a good start -

21 thoughts on “Taking the Time

Ann Marie says:

MMMM it looks so good. That is a LOT of jam. We made jam, homemade applesauce, etc growing up as well. I just don’t have space or time for a garden right now.

randi says:

lovely jars! normally i make enough jam to last the year, but this year i didn’t. we just used our last jar of raspberry jam (from last year) and i am gonna regret not having a new stock. my kids are already complaining about the taste of smuckers!

Cindy Sharp says:

Oh the memories you conjure up. I grew up in the north east. Every summer my Mom would make flats and flats of jam. Strawberry, blackberry, peach…we had several cupboards in the basement filled to overflowing. I can remember the smells that filled the house as jam day approached, and passed. I remember helping her….waiting for warm jam for my slice of bread. Ooooh my.

The very best thing in the whole year was going down to the basement in February to get a new jar of jam. Outside was cold and dark, wet to the core and lifeless, but inside those jars was something from a different world. I always picked raspberry….it tasted like summer.

Sara says:

Oh we love jam here too!! W have blueberry and boysenberry currently in the fridge:)

That looks delicious!
    I worked on a commissioned quilt for a customer and a Halloween tablecloth for my grandkids to enjoy.

Along those lines…my husband canned homemade salsa and I froze corn! Though it is time consuming now, I do love the garden fresh food in the winter.

Amy says:

You are super mom…that looks YUMMY!

Beth says:

That looks so yummy!!! No doubt your kiddos will have great memories of Mommy’s jam :)

I spent the weekend watching tackle football and baseball games. Luckily I got the hubs to take me to dinner (kid free!) in between. Happy Monday to you, Amy!
    Smiles~Beth

Debbe says:

I can’t stand store bought jam/jelly. I have to have homemade. My husband thinks I’m nuts for buying strawberries in season and making up a batch or two of yummy-ness to get me through the year.

Tove Leggett says:

The jam looks great!!!!!! Alice and I may a batch of strawberry jam when Centeral Market had some on sale, unforutnately alot of the upick field from when we were kid are gone!!!!!! boo whooo. But it looks like your jam turned out better then mine!!!!!! I had to recook it to get mine to set up!!!!!!grr… then my jars when set up are not full who knows why. Glad you’ve had better luck.

Christy says:

I spent Saturday at our monthly guild sew-in, working on my Habitat quilt. Yesterday, I took my son to Costco for lunch. (He loves the samples!) And last night, I put up a few jars of Chunky Applesauce and Pear Butter.

Deana says:

Congrats on making jam! It looks wonderful. It is a bit of a family tradition in our house. Once you start jamming, you never stop. The house smells so wonderful after making a batch. Enjoy!

Heather says:

I miss home made jam and I’m pretty picky about what I buy at the grocery store! Growing up in Oregon my Mom use to take us berry and fruit picking with her. And at a fairly young age she put us to work helping her make freezer jam and canning fruit. I have a couple containers of strawberry jam I made last summer that I’m hording.

Lynne says:

I eat commecial jam almost daily but I can tell the difference! My mum used to make the world’s best strwberry jam and my nanna made the best apricot jam! Sadly, Nanna has been gone for more than twenty years and mum no longer grows enough strawberries for jam making!

evelyn says:

Yummy. I make strawberrry-rhubarb jam. I have never seen it in the store. Before my mom passed, I transplanted some of her rhubarb to my garden. Now every time I make it, I think of her.

Carla says:

Oh, yummy! Raspberries are my favorite…especially on vanilla bean ice cream! The jam is beautiful!

DIANE says:

I just visited your FB page. You are such an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing with all of us quilting cyberspace. I can’t wait to lay my hands on your new book – sounds like a perfect fit since I haven’t quilted in 20 years. :)

janita says:

I make strawberry rhubarb jam. homemade…..there’s really nothing like it! I bought some black raspberry from a garden stand made by the amish in Illinois….I know it is going to be delicious. Saving it for the dead of winter!!! you can do anything if you just take the time:) thanks for sharing. janita

[…] a month ago, but didn’t pull it out until this last weekend finally.  In the midst of making jam, and keeping the laundry moving (mostly) I was inspired to make this little clutch!  I decided I […]

Victoria says:

Oh my goodness, those jars of jam are BEAUTIFUL! This is something that I have always wanted to try, but have never gotten around to. Your post has inspired me… maybe next year???!