I have the honor of sharing a new DVD with you today!
My friend Candy, recently filmed all her dyeing secrets with Quilting Arts, and has a 70 minute DVD to start you on your dyeing journey, or answer all your unanswered questions!
Candy is a Biology Professor at the University of Redlands, by day, which makes her very concise, and a great presenter of information! The DVD is broken into chapters, making it easy to get to the information that you need.
I loved seeing Candy in action, she shares her methods for mixing dyes and how to scrunch/pleat your fabric for varied effects. She uses a low water immersion process to dye, so you don’t need a 10 gallon pot to alter a yard of fabric (bonus!). After many experiments, she found that she does not need to heat the dye for a permanent bond to be made with the fabric. The scientist in her, has a binder full of results from all the experiments as well – super thorough!
The workshop focus’ on Candy’s jewel tone palette, complete with dye recipes. And she encourages you to develop your own palettes to set limits for yourself, which in turns gives you more freedom to create with your fabrics.
The segment on color theory, was amazing! Candy has carefully, and beautifully dyed dozens of variations of the same three colors, to be able to find new tones, and shades with varied depth and texture. And of course it’s all recorded so she can easily replicate any color she desires!
Finally, Candy shares her unique style of creating art. Her sketchy stitching gives definition to the piece without taking away from the beauty of the hand dyed fabrics.
I said at the top, that Candy filmed all her dyeing secrets, but now I’m thinking this is just the tip of her knowledge! The DVD is a wealth of information, perfect for anyone looking to hone their dyeing skills, and considering how to put their “glorious” hand dyed fabrics to good use.
**You can preview the video here.
Sidenote : Last year a few of us got together and made a quilt for a new baby, using Candy’s fabrics –
If you would like to win a copy of “Dyeing to Stitch” leave me a comment!
Tell me why you would like to learn to dye, or why you dye already.
I’ll select a winner on Friday, November 25, 2011.
Good luck ~ Amy
Follow the tour for more chances to win :
- Friday, 11/11 – Victoria Gertenbach of The Silly BooDilly
- Monday, 11/14 – Susan Brubaker Knapp of Blue Moon River
- Wednesday, 11/16 – Kathy Mack of Pink Chalk Studio
- Friday, 11/18 – Melody Johnson of Fibermania
- Monday, 11/21 – Amy Ellis of Amy’s Creative Side
- Wednesday, 11/23 – Diane Doran of Ooh! Pretty Colors
- Friday, 11/25 – Vicki Welsh of Field Trips in Fiber
- Monday, 11/28 – Brenda Gael Smith of Serendipity and the Art of the Quilt
- Wednesday, 11/30 – Amy Webb of Amy Lou Who Sews
- Friday, 12/2 – Robin Ferrier of Simply Robin
- Tuesday, 12/6 – Natalia Bonner of Piece N Quilt
- Thursday, 12/8 – Beth and the gang from Sew Mama Sew