Featuring Heather — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on January 13th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 11 comments

Happy Friday!  Today’s featured quilter is Heather!  Heather blogs over at Crafting…  I hope you enjoy getting to know Heather and her quilts better!

1. When did you begin quilting?

I have been quilting since fall 2010. I had been an avid knitter for quite a few years, then as that was waning a bit I suddenly wanted to learn how to sew. I borrowed sewing machines (from various people at different times!), and just jumped right in. I have never taken a class – I have learned by trial and error (quite a few errors, and “why didn’t anyone tell me that?” moments) and with the help of blogs and other internet sources.

2. Why do you quilt?

I quilt because I love to create things! I always have, I think. I remember being shown by my grandma how to knit when I was a child, and my granny showed me how to crochet. Over my growing up years I did quite a few different crafts, from cross-stitch, to painting wooden knick knacks from the craft store, to seeing ideas in magazines and wanting to make them, to going to the craft store on the weekend with my sisters to find a project that we could make in an afternoon. Then in more recent years, like I said earlier, a LOT of knitting and some crochet too, and now sewing and quilting. Quilting is just another way to create!

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?

My favorite quilting tip. That’s a tough one. I think for me it’s mostly just that each person’s creativity is displayed in different ways, and who are we to say if someone is doing their craft the “right way” or the “wrong way”? Each person needs to feel that they can express themselves in their quilting however they want to, and not how they think they should or how someone else does. We each get our own creativity mold to fit into!

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?

My inspiration for my Quilt Festival quilt was my son Owen! The quilt was made for his bed, and it turned out that he had a lot of ideas of what he did and did not want! When I made my older son’s bed quilt, he was so easy going. I showed him a few patterns, he picked one quickly, told me that he wanted blue on the front and yellow on the back and that was that. With Owen, I showed him pattern after pattern before he finally chose the Shoo Fly design by Malka Dubrawsky (the “O” quilt for Owen!), and again when it came time to choose fabrics he was quite opinionated about that as well! He wanted blue, green, red, and orange. I love how Owen’s quilt turned out, it is “him”. If I had gone with my preference, it probably wouldn’t have been that pattern, and it probably wouldn’t have been so bright, but I’m glad that I let him choose because he chose what best suited him!

5. Do you sew other things?

I do sew some other things, but most still fall under the “quilted” category. I have made placemats, some bags, cushions, coasters, pot holders, table runners, mini quilts, and more recently I made my mom and my sister aprons for Christmas. I do really enjoy large projects, and every bed in our house is covered with a hand made quilt now! Time to make quilts for other people, I think.

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?

I am a wife and a mom of two boys, Levi age 10 and Owen age 8. Part of my crafting craze in recent years has been due to the fact that I am a stay-at-home mom, and love that I have been able to do that, but I still needed something for me that I could do at home while being here with my boys. Knitting/crochet, and now sewing/quilting fits the bill! We are now at a different phase of life, with both boys in school full-time, but I’m still “stay at home”, keeping myself busy with friends, school and other church/community activities, and I still make sure that I fit in some crafting every day!

—–

Thanks for sharing Heather!  I wholeheartedly agree – no right or wrong – just do what you love!

Have a great weekend – I’ve got a to do list with my name on it, do you?

11 thoughts on “Featuring Heather — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Suzanne says:

I love when my kids drive the design and color of their quilts. They appreciate them so much more then. Thanks for sharing your quilts!

Jacque says:

Great to meet you, Heather! I enjoyed your interview, and your quilts are beautiful!

Debbie says:

Oh I love that you featured Heather! What a nice ‘interview’. Heather’s work is beautiful and inspiring!

I adore Heather and her wonderful quilts, great feature!

Beth says:

Lovely quilts, Heather! I adore that you let your boys be such a big part of the design for their own quilts. I am finally making some for us rather than everyone else. I will be sure to remember that even though they might not pick out what I would it shouldn’t keep me from making it for them. Smiles~Beth

I love your quilts, Heather! I love the bright colors and modern design. Thank you for inspiring us.

Queenie says:

Beautiful quilts!!! I can tell from the quilt that Owen is full of personality, fun! I really like the tree quilt too.
    Have a great day,
    Always, Queenie

Toni says:

So glad to see Heather featured here! She is so talented as well as such a kind person. I’ve loved learning a little more about her and seeing her beautiful work again!

Felicity says:

Heather is indeed one of the nicest quilters I’ve “met” in blogland. Thanks for featuring her and her beautiful work! British Columbia quilters represent!

Felicity says:

Heather%20is%20indeed%20one%20of%20the%20nicest%20quilters%20I’ve%20%22met%22%20in%20blogland.%20Thanks%20for%20featuring%20her%20and%20her%20beautiful%20work!%20British%20Columbia%20quilters%20represent!

Cleberson says:

I think iorpmv can happen during different phases of a project, and our quilts do not have to look like Gees Bend, Nancy Crow, or Denyse Schmidt to be iorpmv. Sometimes I can’t tell from a picture if something is iorpmvised or not. The question is how much of your process Kim, is pre-designed and then executed? Do you deviate from your original designs as you are making it? Do your designs come together precisely on paper first? Or do you start with a loose sketch and then iorpmvise to come to something like it? Or do you just start with a bare bones concept and see where it takes you? When making something completely original there are always elements of iorpmvisation in the imagination, and execution.We all iorpmvise differently, not only in regards to how, but also in regards to when we iorpmvise, and how much, during the process of realizing an idea. More on this later!