Featuring Janet — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on March 2nd, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 16 comments

Hi friends!  Today’s featured quilter is Janet!  Janet blogs at What comes next, and has some fantastic quilts to share, along with some great words of wisdom.  I hope enjoy getting to know Janet better -

—–

1. When did you begin quilting?

I started quilting many, many years ago, making small bags, pillows and pot holders when I was still in high school.  I did a combination of machine and hand piecing, and some very rough hand quilting.  My mother still has one of these potholders hanging on the wall at the cottage, never been used.  That’s going back some 35 or so years, but now I’m dating myself!  The first quilt I made was for a wedding present for my best friend from high school and was made in 1983.  Machine pieced and hand quilted.  I haven’t seen that quilt in years, but I cringe at my recollections of it!  Let’s just say, it could have done with a lot more quilting!  After University, quilting took a back seat to life and it wasn’t until the 90’s that I turned back to it.

Birds of a Feather - Done!
2. Why do you quilt?

I love to create – I’ve always had some type of creative project underway, sewing, knitting, crocheting, tole painting, embroidery, but I always come back to working with fabric.  I love taking an idea from a rough sketch to a finished project.  I love challenges and trying to come up with new ideas and ways of doing something.  Quilting gives me the chance to stretch my creative brain and come up with something that is both pretty and functional.  I love the process!

ready or not 2

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?

I used to be too scared to do my own quilting, but then I realized that if I didn’t jump in and try, I would never progress.  I am so glad that I made that decision.  Yes, there has been a lot of practice involved, and a lot of frustration, but by sticking with it, I am now at the point of being very comfortable with my quilting.  My tip – make up a baby quilt and then just practice.  Make it a donation quilt and you’ll double the benefit – you get to practice on a real sized quilt, and someone gets a wonderful little quilt to snuggle with and love.  We are our own worst critics and really, no one else is going to be looking at those stitches as close as we do when quilting it, or even going to care if a corner is cut off or the seams don’t match they are just going to love to snuggle under it.  The majority of us learn by doing, so just do it!

Kona Challenge
4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?

My entry into the Fall Quilt Festival was my “There’s Medication for That” quilt, which was a result of the Robert Kaufmann, Kona Solids challenge which the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild took part in.  We were given a charm pack of the Dark Solids and told we had to use all the colours in our project.  We could add other fabrics, but the charms had to remain the focus of the quilt.  I had an idea right off the bat, and sketched it out and then created it in EQ6.  I took all the fabrics to a retreat to cut, and when one of the ladies heard what I was doing – cutting my charm squares into 6 pieces just so I could sew them back together, her comment was, “You know, there’s medication for that.”  I loved it and called the quilt that.  I was thrilled with how the quilt turned out.

Sunny Days 2
5. Do you sew other things?

I have done a lot of personal sewing over the years – most of my sewing was clothing or home dec for many years.  Then when my step daughter needed Irish Dance dresses to compete in, I took on the challenge of making those.  That was quite the undertaking, but it did teach me a lot of things – including how to work with slippery fabrics, sequins and fancy threads.  These days, the majority of my sewing is quilting related, with the odd bag or pillow thrown in.  I keep buying fabric to make clothes for myself, but it’s been a few years since I’ve used any of it, so it might start making its way into my quilts!

DQS10 Finished and mailed
6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?

I’ve decided I’m a Moditionalist – I love the look of modern quilts with their freshness and open spaces, but I also love my traditional feather quilting!  I’m married to a wonderful guy, and we are going to be first time grandparents this year.  More excuses for more sewing and quilting, as if I needed any!

—–

Moditionalist!  I love that – and I’m sure there are lots in the same category!  Visit Janet for more details on her Challenge quilt and follow along to see what she’s working on next!

Have a great weekend -

16 thoughts on “Featuring Janet — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Suzanne says:

Janet’s work is absolutely beautiful.

Q+B says:

Janet’s quilting is very stunning, thanks for sharing Amy.

Jacque says:

What lovely quilting! The “hide and seek” piece is so cute! Thanks for sharing an interesting interview!

Becky says:

Such gorgeous quilts. Her quilting is absolutely fabulous! It gives me hope that one day I’ll actually be good at it. :)

Heather says:

So glad that Janet was featured! I’ve admired her quilt festival quilt with awe!

Thanks for featuring Janet! Her quilting is incredible and I always look forward to seeing what comes next in her work!

amazing work! truly stunning!

Kate Brown says:

I am also nervous about doing my own machine quilting, I have always done it by hand. I do have a few baby quilts I want to donate so I am going to take her idea and go for it :) thanks!!

Holly says:

What a great feature on an extremely talented quilter! I love seeing all of Janet’s work! I’ve been lucky enough to watch her FMQ at a guild sew-in and she’s got it down to an art.

felicity says:

Thank you so much for featuring my fellow VMQG member Janet, Amy! She is not only talented, but so very generous with her knowledge.

Thanks for sharing Janet with us. Her quilts just lit up my brain! I so love her blend of the traditional with the modern colorways. I really needed that encouragement to keep working on my free motion quilting. Was frustrated just today.

Sandi says:

Janet’s work is beautiful and even though I know her I learned a few things in this interview!
    Sandi

Arita says:

Janet’s work is amazing and I have been lucky enough to see these pieces. Great interview

Elise says:

Beautiful quilts!

beautydeleon says:

This is lovely! Looking at these work of art, I can say Janet is very patient person. To do this kind of creation needs patience and talent.

Theriz26 says:

I love the designs of this quilts! And Janet is so very artistic and creative to do this amazing work. I wish i had a talent in quilting. Thanks for sharing this us Amy!