Featuring Audrie — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on March 16th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 15 comments

Hi there!  Today’s featured quilter is Audrie, chances are you will recognize some of her quilts (I’ve seen them on Pinterest lately!),  to keep up With Audrie, follow her blog, Blue is Bleu.  I hope you enjoy getting to know Audrie better!
1. When did you begin quilting?
I started quilting around mid-2009 when I decided to make a table runner for my mother-in-law. My husband had given me a sewing machine the Christmas before, and I figured I’d put it to use. Who knew it’d become a full-blown obsession!

Four Squared quilt

2. Why do you quilt?
There’s probably many answers to that question, but I think the main reason is that I just like to make things. Ever since I was a kid I’ve crocheted, cross-stitched, knit etc so it was just a matter of time before I found sewing. I enjoy everything about quilting — the math in figuring out how a quilt top, piecing blocks, playing with colours and deciding how to quilt a quilt. Plus I love gifting quilts and knowing that they’ll be appreciated and treasured for years to come.
3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
To have no fear. I like to tell people to try something that they don’t think they can do. Being scared to fail can’t stop you from trying new things. If it doesn’t work out, then it doesn’t work out… it’s just fabric and thread! But the joy of finding out that the thing that scared you is really something you enjoy and can do well is such a great feeling.

Wedding quilt

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?

Our friends were getting married, and I wanted to make them a quilt that they would love and look good in their home. I decided to go with traditional blocks but not make it look too traditional. It turns out they utterly love their quilt and spend lots of time under it every evening!

Twin baby quilts

5. Do you sew other things?
I don’t sew much aside from quilts and table runners. I do make the odd potholder and oven mitt, or zippered pouch. Occasionally I’m given pants to hem (I HATE doing this) but thankfully they’re few and far between!

Boy patchwork quilt

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
I’m originally from Singapore, grew up in Australia and moved to the States after my husband and I got engaged. I’m thankful I found quilting because I don’t know what my life here would be like without it. I didn’t know anyone (aside from my husband’s family) or have friends here, so the online quilting community has been a source of wonderful friendships both online and in real life! And because of quilting and writing my blog, I’ve also found a passion for photography. Sure it probably irritates everyone I know to have a camera shoved in their faces constantly, but I enjoy it immensely (both the photography and being a source of irritation).
—–
Ha, ha – at least they know what to expect when you are around Audrie!  I love your quilts, and I’m so glad you found this community too!
Have a great weekend~

15 thoughts on “Featuring Audrie — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter!

Suzanne says:

Beautiful work!

I am such a huge fan of Audrie’s blog! I love her sarcastic humor and think she is a very talented quilter. So much fun to read!! I never comment because I don’t think I could add anything to her posts but never miss a single one! Love them! Thank you for featuring her!

Debbie says:

Thanks for featuring Audrie – I really enjoy her & her blog & all the fantastic things she makes!

Beth says:

Beautiful quilts! Love Audrie’s tip of having no fear while quilting. It’s so much more enjoyable when being able to just dive in and enjoy the entire process (even the imperfections). Best wishes for a fabulous weekend! Smiles~Beth

Dulcie says:

Quilting is such a wonderful hobby. Audrie’s blog rocks – there’s just so much to learn from her.

Dulcie says:

BTW, do you know of any other blogs on quilting? Hard to find these days…

Dulcie Ong

Beautiful quilts Audrie. I really like your point of view regarding setting fear aside, trying new things and challenging one’s self.
    Have a great day!
    Always, Queenie

Jacque says:

Lovely quilts….I’m off to check out her blog!

Audrie says:

Thanks Amy!!! This is such a thrill for me :)

amy smart says:

I love Audrie. Not only are her quilts inspiring, but she cracks me up constantly.

Molly says:

I’m a big fan of Audrie’s blog! So excited to see read a little more about her quilting journey and life. Thanks Amy!

KimT says:

Audrie’s blog is one I read faithfully. She’s a talented quilter and her dialog snippets with her husband are hysterical.

Deb says:

I love Audrie’s eye for colour. Her blog is hilarious. I had the pleasure of meeting Audrie in person, while she was working at her local quilt shop. It was serendipity and she is just as funny in person and also completely adorable!!

CitricSugar says:

One of the people in blogland that I am happiest to have found. She’s wicked awesome.

Laura says:

Audrie is hilarious! I look forward to every post. You just never know what she’s going to say.