Featuring Leila — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter

Posted on March 23rd, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 10 comments

Happy Friday!  Today’s Featured Quilter is Leila – Leila blogs at Where the Orchids Grow, sharing her sewing and family life.  I hope you enjoy getting to know Leila better –

1. When did you begin quilting?

I have been sewing ever since I was a very little girl; I used to have an old Singer treadle in my bedroom and sewed dolls clothes on it with help from my mum of course.

I first started quilting when I was pregnant with my son. I made him two baby quilts. But my obsession with quilting came from discovering modern quilting online. I started my own blog and haven’t stopped ever since!

Making Amends {Birds & Empty Cages Quilt}
2. Why do you quilt?

Besides the more obvious reasons of loving all the pretty fabrics and designs I enjoy creating useful things. It makes me feel empowered to be able to create something that fills a need in my home (or that of others) I love the soft padded comfort a quilt brings.

Finished!I have this need to create; I always have been creative and come from a creative family. It is like this energy attaches to whatever media is closest for now that is textiles and quilting a few years back it was the theater and acting before that I used to draw and paint.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?

Have fun, we all make mistakes, and perfection is overrated.

+ & X blocks Quilt
4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival quilt?

My inspiration was a quilt by Setsuko Inagawa – featured in Tokyo Quilt Festival 2011. Amy from Badskirt posted a tutorial for the block on her blog.
Scrappy Leaf Key Fob Pattern
5. Do you sew other things?

Yes mostly other things I don’t make that many actual quilts. I enjoy small patchwork projects a lot, cushions, bags, potholders etc. I love the bee’s that I am in they are challenging and I get to pour a lot of creative energy in just one block design. This year I plan to improve my dressmaking skills. I have made two Tova tops and have another Wiksten top in the making. I would love to be able to draft my own sewing patterns one day!

Cushion cover set - preview
6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?

I used to be a cord dancer but I don’t think I could do it still!

——

Thank you for sharing with us Leila!  I agree perfection is over rated – a finish is way better!

Have a great weekend everyone ~

10 thoughts on “Featuring Leila — A Bloggers’ Quilt Festival Quilter

Kerry Green says:

Lovely interview!

Bearpaw says:

Lovely to read more about you Leila, and always good to see photos of your beautiful work!

Anne Carter says:

You are taking modern quilting one step further. Love it

Beautifully designed quilts, sophisticated yet balanced. Love the black birds and bird cages.
    Have a great day,
    Always, Queenie

Flying Blind says:

Leila is such an inspiration! No cord dancing pics though? Disappointed!

nicke says:

i love leila! she is so very talented!

Tiffany says:

Great post! I will be pinning this for sure!

lovely interview! When I first started sewing ‘online’ two years ago, Leila was my partner in a hoop swap. Sewing for her gave me such confidence!

Leila says:

Thank you all for your kind comments, and Amy for the wonderful feature!! It is quite surreal to see ‘myself’ on your blog :)

Penny says:

It is so nice to learn a bit more about you, Leila!