Bloggers’ Quilt Festival – Spring Details

Posted on March 30th, by Amy in Bloggers Quilt Festival. 34 comments

Hi Friends!  I don’t have an interview lined up for today, but with the next installment of Bloggers Quilt Festival less than two months away, I’m already planning, and thought I would share some of my ideas with you.  In the spirit of making the Festival even better, I am looking to implement a few changes.

I think it would be fun to include a little nominating/voting – not to dissuade anyone from participating, but to add to the excitement.  Being nominated in a category, by your peers, is the cherry on top of an already fun festival!

Here’s the proposed scoop:

• May 18 – 21 Festival begins!  (Linky is open)
  • May 22- 25 Nominations are made
  • May 26 – 30 Vote for your favorites
  • June 1 – Winners announced

Along with nominations in specific categories, I would love to implement a Viewer’s Choice, and there will still be prizes for simply participating!

So far I’ve come up with the following categories:

• Favorite story to go with the quilt
  • Favorite new to you blog
  • Favorite baby quilt
  • Favorite throw quilt
  • Favorite bed quilt
  • Favorite group/bee quilt
  • Favorite two color quilt
  • Favorite ROYGBIV (color wheel) quilt
  • Favorite applique quilt
  • Favorite pieced quilt
  • Favorite hand quilted quilt
  • Favorite home machine quilted quilt
  • Favorite professionally quilted quilt
  • Favorite quilt photographer
ETA a few more categories:
  • Favorite art quilt
  • Favorite doll/mini quilt
  • Favorite wall hanging

What do you think?  Too many?  Not enough?  I’d love your suggestions!

I thought it would only be fair to share this info with you now, while you have time to plan your entry, and make pacts with your friends ;)

So the festival maintains, the non-judged status, and overall fun, we just take notice of favorites while roaming the festival!  I do want to maintain that all are welcome to enter, no matter how new or advanced a quilter, hopefully I’m not scaring any of you away.

That’s all I’ve got for now, I’m working on a button for everyone, and will share it with you as soon as I have it!

Have a great weekend ~

PS ~ I have a few changes in mind for sponsors as well, category involvement, and more!  Email me if you would like to have more information.

34 thoughts on “Bloggers’ Quilt Festival – Spring Details

Ethne says:

What a great idea Amy – I hope it would create too much extra work for yourself or whoever is helping with the additional organising
    Can’t wait for this next instalment of the BQF

Emma says:

I love the idea; you do an amazing job with the BQF.

Kelsey says:

Love those ideas! I’ll have to start planning :)

Jill says:

That’s a lot of categories, but it also sounds like a lot of fun! I always have so many favorites from the festival I’d love to vote for.

Linda says:

2 months? YIKEs! better get on the stick. I love your ideas, Amy. I think that entering a quilt is just the first part. We as participants have the responsibility to look at all the entries, to support the others. This will help us with that. Thank you, Amy! This blog festival is what my yearly calendar is based around.

Melinda says:

Didn’t the Linky used to be open for much longer? I have been dreaming of a simple throw for awhile…maybe I’ll get started.

Barbara says:

Some of us make doll quilts.

Bearpaw says:

sounds like a fun idea – our own awards ceremony!

Shannon C. says:

Thanks so much for organizing this again. It’s such an awesome event to get to see everyone’s stuff, and I really love your between-festival profiles of people too! Love the idea of picking some favorites, I’d suggest adding a wall quilt category. I love the color-based categories (two color/rainbow), so often the colors are what make me fall in love with quilts to begin with.

I think it sounds like great fun. I would simply add an embroidered quilt category. There are a great number of quilters embroidering these days.

CitricSugar says:

Exciting! It looks like this year, I’ll actually have an entry so I’m looking forward to it.

Good luck with all the organizing and planning, Amy.

pam cole says:

love to participate in your BQF….thanks again for your generous creative energy xoxoxo

Lindsay says:

I think this sounds great! Ideas… what about favorite use of a fabric line or best mix of fabric collections?

Emily says:

I love the inclusion of fave doll quilt. :) I love mini’s and want to see more of them!

Jacque says:

Looks like a lot of categories, but I think it’s great because we can get more quilters involved, by drawing attention to their special niche! Thanks for all the work that you do, to organize this! Looking forward to it. :)

MC says:

That’s a great idea! It will be fun to participate. Thanks for putting in the extra time to make it happen.

Awesome additions to your most wonderful quilt festival!! In my humble opinion please add the ETA catagories to the list. That would be awesome, the more the merrier. I sooooooo look forward to the festivals!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

Hi Amy,
    I love your festival- I always discover new blogs and get visited by others who often leave kind comments about my quilts too. It has been a wonderful experience and I certainly will plan on participating again. I appreciate all the work that you do to make it happen.
    Regards from Western Canada,
    Anna

quilterbell says:

I am soooooooooo looking forward to the festival!!!!!. I better hurry and get some sewing done!!!!!!I like all the categories!!!!

Allie says:

I’m looking very forward to it Amy, I love your festivals so much! I’ve met so many talented quilters through it. The categories sound wonderful to me!!!

I no longer make large quilts but enjoy making wall hangings. So I hope you include that category.

Janet says:

I am disappointed Amy. What I`ve always liked about the Blogger`s Quilt Festival is that it is a glorious exhibition of everyone`s quilts. I have always made a point to look at and comment on every quilt. Some of them are not to my taste, and some of them even look sort of homely to me, but I always make a nice comment, because I think that the festival is about celebrating every quilter. I think categories and voting is moving it to an elite place where many quilters will feel intimidated to enter. Sorry. It`s your festival and you will do as you please but this is my gut reaction.

Karen says:

You can make quilts in different ways. “Quilting” actually refers to a certain way to make one by sewing piceces together. I made a blanket by crocheting and gave it as a gift. It took one month. It’s easy to learn.

Lucy Pinders says:

Thanks for this wonderful post. Glad that you shared the details.

-Lucy

Paul says:

Thank you for sharing this post. I love it.

[...] also hosts the bi-annual Blogger’s Quilt Festival, which ramps back up on May 18, 2012. Make sure to check out Amy’s blog for updates on the [...]

[...] Posted in Featured Quilter I was so glad to see that nearly everyone was excited about the changes I have dreamed up for Bloggers’ Quilt Festival!  I’m looking forward to getting to know [...]

Anne says:

I’m new to blogging and still trying to get into the swing of it. Looking forward to participating and discovering other blogs and more inspiring quilts. And hopefully have a few people find my blog too. Love the idea of what you’re doing. Thanks.

Mary C in WA says:

I’m curious about how to get ‘nominated’??? It was much easier to just Link up! I like the idea of having categories of quilts.

Julie Fukuda says:

It sounds like a lot of fun and you might understand how much if you realize what a computer idiot I am! It is always worth the agony and I love the new friends that appear as if by magic.

Sounds so fun! The festival has given my google reader a work out, but I have “met” so many more bloggers that all have vastly different styles. Thanks for all your efforts! So excited!!!!

Clare says:

Is it too late to sign up for the Festival? I can’t find the Linky on your bog.