Go! Cutter Fabric Prep

Posted on June 18th, by Amy in accuquilt. 13 comments

Hi friends – I hope you’ve had a nice weekend! We had fun celebrating Father’s Day with Joe, and being a family – the best!

I was cutting a quilt top over the weekend and thought I would share my process in using the Go! Cutter.  This is not how Accuquilt suggests it be done, but it works for me, and might for you too!

I’ve slowly collected dies for my cutter, and recently purchased the 2″ finished half square triangles. This die cuts 12 triangles per layer of fabric, and I am able to fold five layers per width of fabric. That’s 60 triangles in one pass of the cutter! Getting ready to cut a ton of triangles, I measure the area of the die and cut a cardboard template about 1/2″ to 3/4″ larger than the die area.

This one measures 7 1/2″ x 8″, and my fabric strips were cut at 7″ wide.

I fold my fabric around the cardboard loosely. Remove the cardboard, and quickly press a crease in the folds to reduce movement, and place it on the die.

After a quick run, I have 60 triangles, and minimal waste. Later I won’t have to trim the half square triangle units either!

If I’m cutting more than one set, I’ll prep everything first then quickly cut all the pieces in a few minutes.

I hope this is helpful for some of you! I keep my cardboard with my die for future use, so I don’t have to think about it again. In fact, thinking about it now, I should write the details on my cardboard for cut width and number of triangles.

Happy Quilting -

Fabrics shown: Happy Drawing for Cloud9 Fabrics, Kingdom for Windham Fabrics, and Tuxedo for Riley Blake.

13 thoughts on “Go! Cutter Fabric Prep

Lisa Gillies says:

Oooo, great tip re the folding & ironing, hadn’t thought of that to ease movement… Thank you.

Jan says:

I have to say I’m a tad jealous. Can you prepare fabric so that you have already matched up the pairs and right sides together? I know that won’t work for mix and match but sems like you could grab and go if they were already to pick up and sew. Love your blog. Thanks.

Jan

Yup, this is EXACTLY how I do it. I have all my cardboard templates labelled and on a ring hanging beside the dies!! Makes it easy when I need to use one of the dies…no measuring…just get the cardboard die and whack away!! And little scraps!
    P

Mary Malone says:

Great idea! I’m going to get on this one!

Beth says:

Very helpful! Thanks for sharing!
    Smiles~Beth

Sarah Craig says:

Brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing!!

Awesome tips!
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

Anne says:

Great idea and I like the idea of having cardboard labeled and ready. I haven’t used the Accucut system yet but it’s awfully tempting. Maybe one of these days. What is that gray loopy fabric? I love it.

Heidi says:

SO great! I don’t have the Accuquilt, but the Sizzix Big Shot Pro, but the concept is very much the same! I was guesstimating the last time I cut my drunkard’s!
    WOOHOO!

Sandra Davidson says:

Thanks for the idea because I just bought an accuquilter but haven’t got around to using it. I think I am a little nervous. That is a great idea and I will give it a try.

gailllc says:

@Jan — yes you can layer your fabric this way!

I’ve not used the Go! for myself personally, but have demonstrated it quite a few times. This is one of the plusses our demo materials told us to talk about. I loved using the machine, and if I were a quilt-block type of quilter, I would get one for sure.

I love the idea of the cardboard templates! Layering up the fabric for minimum waste was frustrating sometimes. Great job!

gailllc

Snoodles says:

Wonderful idea! I’m going to try this with my Go! I love the chisels and the HSTs, so I will give this a go! LOL Pun intended. Heehee!

Kate Brown says:

Fantastic idea, will have to try this. thanks for sharing it . :)