Featuring Jitka :: A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Posted on July 13th, by Amy in Featured Quilter. 11 comments

Hi there! Today’s featured quilter is Jitka! Jitka is from Czech Republic, I love how international blogland is! Jitka was nominated for Favorite Throw Quilt category during the Festival, and I hope you enjoy getting to know Jitka better!
1. When did you begin quilting?
I have started probably in 2002, I like to make a baby quilt for my first baby girl. I used very old towel and spreadsheet. I used this quilt for all my kids and I wash it many times. I´m surprised this baby quilt  still stick together even it went through our ungentle usage. First time I used scissors and easy big pattern. We had a sewing machine from 70´s at home. My mum still use it.

2. Why do you quilt?
The main reason I start with quilting is to use all our older fabric, we have at home. Old spreadsheet, tablecloths, curtains, dress….
The other reason is to relax. From family and my job.
I fell in love with scraps quilt. I have found Bonnie´s Hunter Quilville and her tutorials for scraps quilt. In Czech Republic was not usual to buy so pretty coloured fabric. Today I´m still unhappy with offer of  usual fabric shops. We have mostly two colours of fabric – white and a colour. The best solution is in scrap quilt. Now I buy some older cloths in Salvation Army, some new Czech fabric and newly some American multicoloured fabric via internet shops.

3. What is your favorite quilting tip?
The best tip is probably to buy a cutting mat and a cutter and a ruler.
Any other tips I´have found at Quiltville. I sew pieces together without cutting a string in one long snake. I save time and also string.

4. What was your inspiration for your Quilt Festival (above) quilt?
It look like I still say the same. But for my inspiration for Spiderweb was in using scraps. With this quilt I past away a lot of different fabric cut in thin strings.

5. Do you sew other things?
I sew mostly large quilt and potholders and few pillows and also few mats. I like to gift potholders to my friends.

6. Anything else you would like us to know about you?
I´m glad I can read all blogs every world. I´m glad  bloggers share their tips. I trying the same in Czech Republic.  For that I write my blog in bought languages – English and Czech. I have started blogging in 2010. You find my blog at www.patchworkjitka.blogspot.com. I don´t know many Czech bloggers but I follow many from US, Australia and Canada.

—–

Thanks for sharing Jitka! Chain piecing is my favorite way to piece too! Makes things much quicker, and my girls like to cut apart the chains of pieces.

Have a great weekend -

11 thoughts on “Featuring Jitka :: A Blogger’s Quilt Festival Quilter!

Beautiful quilts! Keep up the beautiful work.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

Alyssa says:

Nice to meet you Jitka!I loved your quit festival quilt, how beautiful!

Flying Blind says:

Nice to hear more about Jitka x

Janet Vickers says:

Jitka, you make beautiful quilts. I am humbled.
    Janet

Rebecca says:

I love your country Jitka! So glad to meet a quilter from the Czech Republic. Your quilts are gorgeous thank you for sharing!

Sandy W. says:

It’s so interesting to learn how quilters in other countries pursue their hobby – especially when they do not have access to the wonderful quilt stores we find in the USA. You are very creative in finding fabrics, Jitka.

Jitka says:

Thank you for very nice words.

Sonia says:

Lovely quilts. I really like the way you base your designs on recycling old fabric. Thanks for sharing! And thanks to Amy, always for introducing us to other quilters and bloggers.

Amanda Rose says:

These are all beautiful quilts! She is so humble, too.

verpa says:

I am proud to read somethig about quilter from my country. How exciting is to be connected because of the hoby, no matter how far are the countries. Thanks.

aarp car rental discount codes thrifty