Pressing Matters

Posted on July 18th, by Amy in sewing. 14 comments

There are times when I skip the pressing, but usually I go through all the motions for the best possible outcome.

Starch is still a favorite tool for crisp fabric, and great points! This is a pile of fabric waiting to be cut, after starching.

I’ve streamlined my process when pressing to one side, so that I don’t have to touch the pieces as many times.  It’s turned into a big time-saver for me, and thought I should share!

I layer pieces in a fan, I’m able to press the seam as I need it and continue to get it nice and flat while I add the next piece.

As long as I get it right the first time, it all works great!

I’ve tried to instruct Ella (my sometimes helper) in this manner, but she’s not interested.

What do you think?

Thanks for stopping by!

14 thoughts on “Pressing Matters

Karen M says:

I do that too. It usually works great. When I have particularly thick intersections I press each block individually.

Amanda Rose says:

This sounds like a great idea.

Mary Ann says:

I’ll try it! And I so agree, pressing is usually the difference between a good result and a great result!

KatieQ says:

That’s my method. I find it much easier and once you get into a rhythm, it goes very fast.

Kate Brown says:

I sometimes do that and it works great. Anything that saves time. I have to say though, I do enjoy ironing right up to the finished top, then I am not so crazy about it.

• 5.1
      Lauren aka Giddy99 says:

me, too! I love to press seams while sewing, but the finished product? Not so much. :)

Pressing is a definite necessity and whatever it takes to get it done quickly, I’m all for it!

I do this, too. I love to press. =) It’s relaxing and fun.

Sounds like a good idea for straight of grain seams. For me bias seams tend to be finicky demanding individualized attention :o)
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

Cindy Sharp says:

You have a great iron for the job! I have one just like it and love the steam that it puts out. ( nothing like getting a facial while doing some ironing!)

Natalia says:

I do the same thing when I mass pressing! :)

Lori says:

Same here! But I do not use starch. I hate what to does to everything else it hits. Wondering if I’m missing out???

duff says:

I am accustomed to thinking about chain piecing, but not chain pressing–thanks for making me think outside the box! I’m going to try this right away!