Hexie Progress

Posted on November 12th, by Amy in work in progress. 15 comments

I have really enjoyed this handwork project! And today I’m excited to share a full look at the completed paper piecing!  If you’ve been following me on instagram, you know that this has been my creative focus this last month.  I decided just after Sewing Summit (which I still need to recap!) that I wanted to sew up a sketch that I had been playing with, and enter it in the Quiltcon festivities.  So I quickly got to work!

These are a bunch of my IG photos of the piece in progress.  I counted 338 — 3/4″ hexagons, all hand basted and pieced as I watched tv, waited in line at school, or just needed a stitchy fix! I just finished yesterday, and I’ve already started thinking about what my next bit of handwork should be.

This is prior to taking the papers out. I love the look of them against the window with enough light streaming through to make out the seam allowances behind.

This is after I started taking out the papers, from the back.  I love all the details!

My plan is to applique to a white background, then baste and quilt!  I’ve got a few ideas on quilting, but I’m always open to suggestions if you have one.  I’m so glad to have it this far, and I’m hoping that I can begin quilting this week.  With Thanksgiving next week I know that the month is going to fly by, and the deadline is soon.

Are you going to Quiltcon?

Thanks for all your excitement over Blogger’s Quilt Festival – it is a lot of work, but such a fun way to bring our community together!

Happy Quilting ~ Amy

15 thoughts on “Hexie Progress

Victhor says:

Heck ya I am going to quiltcon! It is going to rock!!!! Taking a class from Angela Walters.

Karin says:

That looks great in solid colours. I am interested to see how you are going to quilt this. I completed an Elongated Hexagon Table Runner recently and struggled with ideas…ended up quilting a grid over it and as I had a border, I quilted another more formal design in there. It’s amazing, the variety that these hexagons can produce. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Love the snowflake effect of your hexie pattern – brilliant!

Snoodles says:

I’m crazy about these solid color hexies….this is an awesome project – looking forward to seeing how you quilt it!

Dan Rouse says:

Wow! It’s beautiful.

melzie says:

snowflake hexies! cute!

Vicki says:

Love your hexies! Can’t wait to see it finished!

Sheila says:

Loving the contemporary look the solid gives to your hexies.

Vicki says:

Beautiful! Is this for the modern mini challenge? I have an idea for that but haven’t started yet….

kate brown says:

I love it!! It actually looks like snowflakes and I bet would look great in Christmas colors too :)

Lisa Gillies says:

Lovely progress on the hexy quilt, looks fab.

Your hexie’s look wonderful. I just ordred a whoe mess of paper hexie pattern pieces… What have I got myself into -lol-
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

Mary Ann says:

It is going to look great! You will have to do “hexie” patterns or a book!

Oh Amy, this is lovely! And those pix through the window are so cool!

Pam Fields says:

Hexagons are on my learn-to-do-list. I love how these turned out.