A Quilty Weekend

Posted on November 19th, by Amy in work in progress. 10 comments

Hi friends!  I hope you had a great weekend!  It’s been rainy here; a perfect excuse to stay inside and quilt – which is exactly what I did.

I started the weekend by focusing on my hexagon quilt.  I added swirls to the white hexagons, and really enjoyed the process.  Once I got warmed up, I just kept going onto the background.

MUCH later in the evening I finished quilting down the background with the same swirl.

Hopefully it dries up a bit today, and I can get outside to take a few pictures to share – I love the way the color pops off the quilt!

Saturday I spent a bit of time preparing to host Thanksgiving, and later in the evening, made a quilt back and basted my Maasai Mara quilt.

I’m adding more lines of quilting here and there in a few different colors.  I’m hoping to get the bindings on both of these today or tomorrow, so I have some handwork while the kids are out of school, and the house is full.

I love quilting my own quilt tops, but do feel it is slow going on my domestic machine.  I think I’m ready to seriously consider a long arm machine – any advice you would care to share?  Brand, throat space, etc…I’d love to hear it all!

Hope you are having a great Monday ~ Amy

10 thoughts on “A Quilty Weekend

Cindy Sharp says:

Go to a show and try all of the machines before you buy one. It is great to have them all there in at one time.

I love my gammell.

pam cole says:

your quilting looks great…so look out if you get a longarm xoxo and i agree…go to a show..that is how i chose my apqs millenium and i love it xoxoxo

Beautiful quilting! I do my quilting on a domestic machine. If I were able to afford something I would look into a George as opposed to a long arm due to space considerations.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

Anna says:

I’ll be watching the replies because I am getting the itch for a longarm, too!

Kathie says:

My friend just bought the Sweet 16 and loves it! It’s small enough to fit in a corner and she is quilting up a storm. I went for a higher end baby lock instead :-).

Kelsey says:

I just got a used (from 2005) TinLizzie 18 and love it! I had used a longarm before but bought this one from pictures only from the TinLizzie Dealer Park City Quilt Company. I love it! It does take up about half of my basement but I knew that going into it :)

Tami says:

I got a Handi Quilter Avante about a year ago and absolutely love it!! Big plus?? They are made right here in Utah, so service, classes all that good stuff is right here!. Mine was a demo off of a store floor so I saved quite a bit of money on it. I’m not an expert, but live here locally. You’re welcome to come try mine.

Stephanie says:

I have an Avante and love it! I went to one of the APQS roadshows and almost bought a millennium. Then took a machine quilting class and used the Avante. It was half the price and had all the features that I wanted. I also test drove several machines at shows.

I’ve had my Avante for several years now and still love it!

You have to figure out what works best for you and get that machine.

Beth says:

Love it all, especially your Hexies :) Hope your week has gotten of to a wonderful start.
    Smiles-Beth

Heidi says:

Bought mine at the Houston quilt show last year. It was a class machine! I tried out ALL of the different brands I was interested in. You MUST give them a test drive.

Is it worth it…was for me!!!!!!