Maasai Diamonds

Posted on November 27th, by Amy in finished quilt. 16 comments

Hi there! I’m excited to share a recent finish with you!  Maasai Diamonds is in response to the QuiltCon challenge issued by Dear Stella Fabrics.  I was inspired by shapes found in the fabric, and the desire to showcase the prints.

I wanted to also use a good amount of negative space, and so, I limited the number of pieced blocks.  This left lots of space to add interest with quilting, which you can see I densely quilted it with straight lines.

I backed it with a navy, and matched the thread to the back.  If you don’t match the top and bottom threads when quilting, be sure to adjust your tension to the point where both the top and bottom threads are happy, and only showing where they should be.  It’s all about experimentation, and finding what works for you and your machine!

I used multiple colors of thread in the quilting to add interest as well.

On the large sections of white, I used more white thread, but there are a number of strands of more intense color as well.  I love the effect, and was glad it worked out as I had imagined!  I had a lot of fun working on this simple quilt, and might eventually make it a pattern – it’s just a few fat quarters and the solid background!

I have my hexie quilt, pinned to the floor drying right now, “blocking” it to make sure it doesn’t shrink up funny.  I’ll be back with a post/pictures soon!

16 thoughts on “Maasai Diamonds

Michele says:

Very cool. Love the colors. Nicely done.

Mary Ann says:

Oh my! I love this quilt the fabric and the quilting are a perfect match, don’t you love when t all works out the way you envision! I would love a pattern, so lazy about doing the match myself.

You did an awesome job Amy! I hope it wins!

Carla says:

Gorgeous! Love all the quilting.

Emily says:

I LOVE this! I might have to copy with my Dear Stella bundle :o)

Snoodles says:

This is just beautiful — isn’t it wonderful when the quilt that we make ends up looking like what we had imagined in our heads!

This is a lovely quilt. The dark backing is a wonderful added bonus.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

Natalia says:

Very cool! I love that you’ve mixed in colored thread!

Dawn Hollingsworth says:

Just wonderful!! Thanks for sharing :)

Jo Ann says:

That is a fantastic quilt! Love the use of fabrics and quilting – very effective!

Anne says:

Looks great. I thought about a quilt for this category but just ran of of time. Am finishing up 2 this week so I can squeak in under the deadline. Good luck with your entries.

duff says:

Yes, that is a beautiful way to showcase the prints. Make a tutorial at the very least :O)
    Best wishes for a quiiltcon win!

Casey says:

Beautiful quilt! I love your use of negative space and the way the pattern shows off the various prints. Best of luck at QuiltCon!

Quanto custa chemisettes hollister abercrombie e a茅ro no Brasil e nos eua