Tone It Down – Finished Quilt!

Posted on June 16th, by Amy in finished quilt, quilt-along. 13 comments

My backstory on the Tone It Down Quilt Along – I started this quilt last fall, with the intention that it was for my father-in-law. He is around our house often, and sees all the quilts I make, in various stages of the process, always admiring. His regular line was – “You know; that would look great on my bed.”  I worked on this quilt while he was around too, but never indicated that it was for him. I had wanted to keep a surprise, and him not too disappointed when I had to set it on the back burner to meet a few deadlines.

#apqquiltalong - AmysCreativeSide.com

Yesterday was his birthday, and Father’s Day – perfect day for a special quilt, made just for him. He’s been through a lot over the last few years, and it felt great to give him a gift just for him, without a hint of the past. Let’s just say, it was well received, and a slightly emotional moment. :)

#apqquiltalong - AmysCreativeSide.com

I quilted this with wavy lines, and double loops between the occasional lines. I wanted it to be nice and soft.

#apqquiltalong - AmysCreativeSide.com

I loaded the quilt on it’s side so that the quilting runs vertical.

#apqquiltalong - AmysCreativeSide.com

And finished it with a light grey binding, to blend in with all the other greys in the quilt.

#apqquiltalong - AmysCreativeSide.com

You can read more about my process with this quilt here, here and see the quilt top here. There’s also a great Pinterest board with lots of inspiration for this pattern.

I hope your week is off to a great start!

13 thoughts on “Tone It Down – Finished Quilt!

Rosemary says:

I’m working on the same quilt! I started it during the month of January. I have 14 blocks completed and working on the next 2 blocks. Lots of work but so worth it! I love yours! The blues look great!

Cindy says:

Aw, how sweet are you giving that to such a nice fella? Great gift – it will be loved!

nicky says:

Looks perfect!

Jackie says:

I love the quiet soothing colors. What a great gift.

Beautiful quilt…I am sure he will treasure it.

Lynettem. :) says:

What a fantastic scrappy quilt. Good on you for making such a terrific gift for him. :)

Vicki says:

I really like the soft quality of this quilt. I can imagine how thrilled he was.

Love the colors in your quilt. It’s so peaceful!

Melva Nolan says:

I love the quilting… free motion yet less intimidating than the fancy feathers, etc. Thanks for the idea. I will be using it. :)

Vicki W says:

It’s a beautiful quilt and the soft colors really make it a perfect comfort quilt.

Amy: Nothing better than leaving a legacy of your work by gifting quilts to loved family members. I hope you labeled it too! Lovely quilt and the stitching is great.

Michele says:

It really turned out fabulous and I’m sure he will cherish it forever.

Sue Draney says:

Like your soft colors. I have just completed my 16th block in sonoran reds – deep colors against a creamy background. Looks greatly different.